MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMF 2nd Pattern Luft - Inspector stamp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMF 2nd Pattern Luft - Inspector stamp ?

Last edited by Gary Jucha; 05-23-2006, 12:38 PM.

Eagle L5

Hi Gary, the "scales" is a stylised Eagle with down swept wings. This is the Luftwaffe inspection stamp. There is a letter "L" and a number "5" beneath it. This mark is often found on Luftwaffe issue close combat knives. I have it on both of mine.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha
      Is there a reference to this mark ?
      It is a "5" - if my memory serves me well for LW blades.

Generic (not proper to this maker) acceptance stamp from the LW (not always used)
      Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

Also seen on swords, rifles, pistols (etc.) the Luftwaffe inspection/acceptance stamp (sometimes called the LWaA stamp) indicates that the item in question was Luftwaffe property.

And in the case of the daggers it differentiated ones purchased by the Luftwaffe for the use of senior NCO’s (Unteroffizier mit Portepee and the occasional loaner to an officer) from the ones that were privately purchased. Which is why it is seen on some daggers and not others. FP

Comment

Thank you

Last edited by Gary Jucha; 05-23-2006, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Acceptance Stamped

This Luftwaffe mark is commnly seen on SMF and Paul Weyersburg Luftwaffe daggers that were purchased by the Luftwaffe and issued as an item by the particular unit (probably to NCOs) for parade purposes. Mostly seen on pieces owned by a particular Luftwaffe air base or school.
            Evidently, Weyersburg and SMF had a contract to provide daggers to certain units as you only find the acceptance stamps on these makers commonly. I have heard in the past that other makers of 1st Luftwaffe daggers have been seen with stamps, but that is not too common.
            Ron Weinand
            Weinand Militaria

Comment

Cheers for the information chaps, into the archives.

Comment

Unfortunately the acceptance mark on my SMF was lightly struck as well, but I tried to enhance the photo somewhat to show what it should look like.
                Attached Files
                Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X