Question on Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Sword

Please excuse me, but does someone know anything about Civil War swords? An individual called me this morning with a nice grouping of a presentation grade Staff and Field Officer's 1860 Union Cavalry sword with browned steel scabbard. The sword is in pristine condition and comes with a very large grouping, all associated with the sword: photos, a diary of the owner during the Civil War, etc, etc.. If anyone has a name or even a site I can point this fella to I'm sure he would appreciate it very much. I thought some of us edged weapons collectors might be knowledgable on something during that era.

Thank you,

Robert

I just got a photo of the maker's mark on the blade. You can see the etched work on the blade, the shark's skin handle with 13 brass wire wraps, the folding clamshell hand guard ( Cavalry), the owner's name under the clamshell (Henry Barlow, 16th Illinois Cavalry, M Company). His son Stuart Barlow, a combat vet from Cuba during the Spanish American War, with the 3rd Illinois Infantry, inherited the sword. There are multiple shots of him during the Cuban conflict, as well as his dad, Henry, during the Civil War.

Robert
    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,524 at 02:02 PM on Today.

Working...
    X