Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSKK dagger,named presentation piece.

Hello all,
    Please take a look at this NSKK dagger,it is a beautiful piece but I'm not too keen on the engraving..it looks a little "off" and not quite right.

What do you all think, or

Cheers

Dave
    P.S sorry about the pics but they were taken in an antique shop with poor lighting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave-B; 06-29-2005, 10:00 AM.

Blade motto
    Attached Files

Comment

and here is the engraving I don't like.
      Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark.While the dagger is an original piece,I just think the engraving was added post war???

Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

The dagger itself is 100% original and quite beautiful.

However, we can't really tell about the engraving since it is easily reproduced. Most of the time, we can tell if an engraving is post-war because of some grammatical errors in the German lettering, or sometimes when the wording being used doesn't seem to be from the proper period era.

Pat

Comment

One "challenge" that is present here, is that you have a M33 SA dagger that has a 1937 dedication on the blade.

Comment

Have to agree with you, I find the engraving highly suspect.
              A pity, because it looks like a nice dagger.

Comment

Hello Dave,

the dagger itself is genuine and very nice , rare maker .I think the backside engraving , may be , is postwar .

Regards.

Comment

Nice dagger. Too bad about the engraving.

Comment

In adition to the previous "red flags"The ring on the upper scabbard fitting has been poorly repaired and the dedication font is not period.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied It's a shame about the engraving because the dagger is really,really nice and is in great condition!

Thanks again!

Dave

Comment

could be PW, but also period, dont be to quick.....

Comment

It would have to be checked hands on by someone who knows engraving to be sure either way.

Comment

Hard to tell from these pics but the engraving seems to me to have been applied on top of the runner marks.

Cheers,
                            David.
                            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Can we see a clear close up picture of the inscription? I would like to see if it is actually engraved or whether it is etched.

I ask because the light reflextion from the insription suggests an etch from what I can see.

Thanks!

Tony
                              Last edited by Tiger 1; 07-01-2005, 01:34 PM.
                              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,225 at 01:53 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X