Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identifying a Sword?

Hello all,
    Came across this sword today, but didn't buy it because I'm not sure of it. Looks like it might be Japanese, but I'm not sure? I feels wimpy and doesn't have that heavy construction feel. Might be real, but I don't know. Any information would be great. Sorry the pictures aren't that great.

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Ssteve; 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

Hi Steve,

It is Japanese. Parade type, brought into use during the Meiji? era(1870's) when they westernized.
        Yours,
        Terry Keller
        "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
        Rammstein

Comment

nice condition

Originally posted by Ssteve
          Thanks for your help
          i have the same sword but my scabards not that nice mine says mieji and japan underneath that it say suya that should be japanese but i was wondering why the word japan was in english does anyons know ???

Comment

Willy.....most of them were just marked with the name of the company, Suya, but some appeared to also be marked like yours. It's not typical but it's correct.

Eric

Comment

same

I have some of the same type of Japanese Western type swords.... They seem to be everywhere. I see several at every show......BILL

Comment

Bill-

I agree tha this is a Japanese Army officer's parade saber. Years ago you could not give these away. These days, they selll fairly quickly. These were used up through the World War II era. Yours has the earlier style protopee used through the mid 30's.
                Bob

Comment

Thanks for all the information guys I appreciate it. I'm only guesssing, but probably worth around $100.00? Thanks again

Regards,
                  Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X