SS NCO Sword Knot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS NCO Sword Knot

I posted this in the SS section. Here is one pic and the reference.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=105738

I'll take the pics off of the SS forum if no responses there.

Comment

Well, I accidentally posted a reply in the SS forum, but I'll duplicate it here.

Dallas,
      Knots are difficult based on photos alone. I'll point out a couple of points you can check. On an original knot the threads on the lower part of the acorn are very tight and are very difficult to separate. Run your thumb across these and see if there if any movement. Generally if anything is going to blacklight it will be the inner part of the acorn. If your's is real, it's certainly in pristine condition.
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Well it doesn't lend itself for pulling apart and I can still see no glow, but a glitter. I have been told these were post war produced (using from existing parts and supplies), I don't know. I have seen such advertised at Johnson's site.
        Last edited by Dallas; 06-11-2005, 02:35 PM.

Comment

These are certainly reproduced and - unfortunately - reproduced very well. As Larry said, a hard call to make based on photos and, since it's not likely I'll ever own one, I don't follow them closely enough to know if there are any tell-tale/giveaway signs to look for.

Sorry not to be of more help on this one!
          Skip

Comment

Dallas,

Try this... Pull the vertical cords on the Quaste apart with your thumbs as Larry has said. Look at the color of the cotton thread that is underneath the cords and black light that. Reproductions generally have white thread that OFTEN show a reaction to black light. Period Portepee balls generally are wrapped in waste thread that may be grey or off white or even a couple of different colors. This cotton thread should look 50 years old! As Larry and Skip said, these particular knots are very problematic. I think some are in fact wartime but most seem to be postwar made. I also doubt they are an SS Portepee simply because they are not regulation. They may be related to the Bahnschutz as they are the smaller size often used on bayonets, but who knows? I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
              X