Need help with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a question

Here's a question I imagine everyone here knows the answer to except me. I'm trying to educate myself before buying my first sword. I noticed that practically all swords displaying the eagle/swastika the eagle is looking to the left. Every now and then I see the eagle facing to the right (I noticed this on one of the army swords I saw a picture of). Why? Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Just a design trait. A cursory look through Angolia's sword book revealed - just as you noted - that most of the eagles face left but a good many do face to the right. Guess I'd never noticed...good observation!

Best,
    Skip

Comment

I once tried to understand myself why the eagles faced one way on some swords but not others. Speaking generally: The army Waffenamt (inspection stamp) eagles look to the right. Eagles on uniform insignia look to their left. On helmets they face right. That was about the point where I gave up. Before I spent too much time trying to understand something that should have been relatively consistent - but obviously is not.

Comment

Perhaps it's rules of heraldry? Sinister (left) facing = war : Dexter (right) facing = peace. Maybe the few right-facing eagles were made during peacetime. Just a thought, but I'm probably wrong.

Harvey

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,789 at 04:22 PM on Today.

Working...
        X