Scabbard ID Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scabbard ID Help Please

Hello! I was referred to the forum by a member for some help in identifying a scabbard. I had contacted a WW2 site but was told by the gent that “the scabbard is not original to any dagger I know of” & that it, the dagger & single hanging strap that i have were worthless . The member who contacted me said you guys would know best if it is a Railroad Dagger Scabbard so I’m going to attempt to add a link to some pictures. Thanks so much for any info - Joelle

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/chbq7l4nu...tLyWRGHMa?dl=0

The scabbard you show is for a Bahnschutz 2nd model dagger. Typically these are aluminum but I can see yours was produced earlier by the patina and dual side screw configuration. The hanger attached it is incorrect and for an Army dagger.

Is there a dagger with the scabbard?

Comment

The blade has no markings on it but I added pictures of the mishmash parts that made up the dagger & scabbard. I can take close ups of the blade it that would help

Comment

A mish mosh is right, sad to say. The dagger is an Army dagger which would be correct for the hanger strap you showed attached to the scabbard but incorrect for the scabbard.

The crossguard is a "generic A" type which could have been used by any number of makers. It's been de-nazified by someone snapping off the swaz underneath the eagle's talons.

I was hoping the dagger was one of those seldom seen early examples of a Bahnschutz (Railway) dagger. This pair was probably mated together by the vet. Often these daggers were turned in by soldiers or citizens and subsequently destroyed. We've seen piles of daggers and bayonets with vets picking through them looking for something to take home.

Comment

This is what the dagger that goes with that scabbard would look like.
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X