Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information on Ordnance Model Swords

Hello,

I have Johnson's book and think that I have them ID'd as Ordnance Models, but that is as far as I have got. Any information on them or can anyone suggest another book to buy. One is made I think by Carl Eickhorn and the other by Alex Copel. Thanks for the information in advance.
    Attached Files

That's not what the Germans called them, they were government issue sabers Officer's model swords for the high grade NCO's that could also purchase open market Officer's daggers and/or swords. FP

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
      That's not what the Germans called them, they were government issue sabers Officer's model swords for the high grade NCO's that could also purchase open market Officer's daggers and/or swords. FP

Sorry, this is not right, an army NCO could never buy/wear an army officers dagger.
      Greetings, daggers.

Comment

Originally posted by daggers View Post
        Sorry, this is not right, an army NCO could never buy/wear an army officers dagger.
        Greetings, daggers.
        Beginning in 1937 Zahlmeisteranwärter with the rank of Oberfeldwebel and some others were allowed to wear the dagger. So there may be some technical reason why what you say is correct, but I'm not clear as to why that would be. FP

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Beginning in 1937 Zahlmeisteranwärter with the rank of Oberfeldwebel and some others were allowed to wear the dagger. So there may be some technical reason why what you say is correct, but I'm not clear as to why that would be. FP

These Zahlmeisteranwärter with the rank of Oberfeldwebel (the same with what you entitle "some others" due to the cit. regulation) already had the officer´s exam but still no assigned officer´s position, so technically these were accomplished officers.

Greetings, daggers.

Comment

Originally posted by daggers View Post
              These Zahlmeisteranwärter with the rank of Oberfeldwebel (the same with what you entitle "some others" due to the cit. regulation) already had the officer´s exam but still no assigned officer´s position, so technically these were accomplished officers.

Greetings, daggers.
              I was not in the German Army but I know (or believe) that it did some things differently from my own experience. If I'm not mistaken certain categories of officers after a period of service had to be approved by his peers to obtain a commission. If they failed what then? Some dagger wearers were civilians that provided specific skills to the Army if I understood it correctly. Others were in specialized occupations. And some in training I think had status as NCO's until they were commissioned having a type of dual status. So if I'm correct in my assumptions (or maybe not) I think you can see why it seems a little confusing to someone who came from a different system. FP

Comment

I was not in the German Army but I know (or believe) that it did some things differently from my own experience. If I'm not mistaken certain categories of officers after a period of service had to be approved by his peers to obtain a commission. If they failed what then? Some dagger wearers were civilians that provided specific skills to the Army if I understood it correctly. Others were in specialized occupations. And some in training I think had status as NCO's until they were commissioned having a type of dual status. So if I'm correct in my assumptions (or maybe not) I think you can see why it seems a little confusing to someone who came from a different system. FP

Exactly this is the mistake, and I don´t want to express it in a harsh way, to compare apples with pears, to compare the german rank system of WWII (and earlier) with the rank system of USA.

These certain "NCO"-ranks could not fail to obtain a commission because they had it already positively passed. Otherwise they were not allowed to wear the officer´s dagger.

Simply look into the certain regulation, et voila.
                If you collect german items you have to think/understand german and that is not meant in any agressive or political way!
                Greetings, daggers.

Comment

Nice piece, there is some info that it was in Weimar period called M1922 Einheitssaebel, when i remember correctly, the WaA proofed correction,both 1935 production G coded, maker Carl Eickhorn and Alex.Coppel Solingen. Used as mentioned by higher rank NCOs and lower rank of Officers obtained per Army.
                  Last edited by AndyB; 04-05-2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X