Is this worth trying to adjust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this worth trying to adjust?

Got this off the e-stand for less than asking though it did stir up quite a bit of debate when I posted it. Was wondering if these are worth trying to fix to a better fit by loosening the pommel nut? Pommel nut had been loosed and re-tightened at some point and I was aware of this at purchase. I would use this tool from LST to do so https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=11317

Attached is a photo from each side. Thanks
    Attached Files

If it has already been turned I don't see a problem with it as long as you don't over tighten it.

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
      If it has already been turned I don't see a problem with it as long as you don't over tighten it.
      What's the recommended tightness? LST said finger tight. It's pretty tight right now. But, no light shows through if I flip the blade so that's a plus

Comment

The old fashioned Penn fishing reel wrench also works well.
        Ed. Anderson,Jr.
        The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

The fishing reel wrench is what some old timers I knew used that was probably the best solution at the time. One guy I knew made his own custom made wrench out of an aircraft grade aluminum alloy so as to not impact as much the softer nickel silver type and get a better fit. Fingertight the way to go - having seen way too many damaged political type grips that got that way either by force or just carelessly overtightened. FP

Comment

If you're gonna' tighten one, be sure to pay attention to the current relative humidity. It's still pretty dry right now . . . and once it goes up, wood has a tendency to swell - even after aging.
            Hence, the reason most people say, "finger-tight" is best.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
              If you're gonna' tighten one, be sure to pay attention to the current relative humidity. It's still pretty dry right now . . . and once it goes up, wood has a tendency to swell - even after aging.
              Hence, the reason most people say, "finger-tight" is best.
              Point noted and I'm in agreement. With some daggers that show no sign of having been disassembled postwar there a can be indentions in the wood next to the crossguards that show where it has been compressed. Most probably from slowly shrinking and swelling due to humidity changes that were not enough to cause the wood to break away. Aging itself causing wood to dry out and become more brittle as well as shrinking - but not equally in all directions. Versus a much more rapid overtighting which can cause the 'web' potion between the ends of a cross guard to act as a chisel, causing chipping and breaking away at the top or bottom and possibly even splitting. FP

Comment

I would agree that once you adjust the blade, a finger tight pommel nut is the way to go.

Comment

I'll keep that in mind as I adjust it. It came from Florida and is now in Minnesota. The humidity is pretty low in my house, I would say in the 30-35% range right now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X