Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gummi fake

Ok, Funksammler
    We start then that the gummies are fake, they are English.
    We have the mark of factory (real or fake) in the top rail. We also have in the previous post put a diagram taken from a book in which the distance between holes has to be 10 cms...but you say they have to be 11.5.....(like the original gummis)...but in turn in this scheme appear as 10 cms.
    Something is wrong...

;;

We're still investigating

Comment

Sorry misread the distances there, the correct hole distance should be 105 mm. Your originals and repros should be 105 mm while the British ones are even shorter. According to your latest photograph, the hole distance on your frame shows them at a bit under 9 cm (not 10) so I suspect you are 1 cm out in your earlier measurements as well...

The 105 mm corresponds to the sizes used in Ellissen's book, so at least that should tally with the size of the original and reproduction rubbers.

Another detail visible in your latest photographs is the fastening clip, this appear to be flat stamped metal while originals invariably are cast. To me this does more to condemn the frame as a reproduction than the wrong hole distance.

To date, most reproduction frames are sold as reproductions (as most collectors and vehicle restorers understand the near impossibility to find originals they are happy to use reproductions), it appears that now we enter a stage where stamps are added to create deliberate fakes designed to deceive. Dangerous times.....

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

gummis fake?

Okay,
        Maybe then I'll keep it as a good repro, I'll mark it somewhere hidden as REPRO......and maybe I'll fill the holes with putty and make them at the right distance to make it better.

And from now on and more and more we have to be careful with the imitations that make it more and more difficult for us.
        Thank you for your help..really Funksammler

Regards
        elvalvulas
        (Ahh.... if anyone has a real rack to put up the pictures so we can make comparisons.)

Comment

Fastening Clips

I am typically humbled by the knowledge and generosity of many who post here. What an asset!

I have one photo of an unquestionably original radio mounting frame with clips or latches that are almost certainly stamped from sheet rather than cast. Glad to post it if desired. I collected quite a few photos of frames when I decided to make one. Some are probably repros, but all have stamped clips.

Still hoping to find repro gummis for my home-made frames.

B Taylor

Comment

You gave me cause to look at my frames and photographs again, and indeed I found one original frame (early aluminium type) with stamped type latches. With that I mean that the edges of the oval "eyelet" are not rounded. The photographs proved far less conclusive, the majority appear to have rounded edges around the eyelet but there may be one or two appearing to show a flat stamped piece, difficult to be definite due limited resolution or bad lighting. Alas a flat stamped latch might be possible after all so I have to revise my judgement based on that factor.

I am still on the fence though as there are some factors that I do like about the frame and some I don't. Let's see if we can find any other "FJ" stamped examples.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

More Latches

Just want to get as much useful info out to as many as possible.
              I too wouldn't think stamped or cast clips would be conclusive evidence one way or the other, as far as originality goes.
              Here are a couple of photos that could be helpful.

Best regards,
              B Taylor
              Attached Files

Comment

Springs mainly

I am in the process of finishing a radio frame for a single radio.
                Quite a few photos are out there showing various details of these frames that I have found useful.
                As you are no doubt aware, the radios themselves are clamped into the frames, with the latches mentioned earlier in this discussion. A single leaf spring on each side presses down against the brass strips on the top of the radio box, securing it in place - and also apparently grounding it.
                I am trying to determine how these leaf springs were attached to the pieces of steel angle. Welded? Riveted? Wedged into a clip or slot? The original construction might have varied some. Some of the original frames in photos seem to have lost their spring leaves, so maybe the design wasn't perfect.
                I made another double frame some time ago and secured the springs with my own design, but I thought if someone had a decent photo, or could even describe it, I would make this frame as the originals were done.

Off topic -
                I have occasionally received a radio by post (or is it gorilla express?) that could not be removed from its box. I learned the hard way what was goi9ng on. I know tubes should be removed, wrapped and packed separately, but they are pretty well protected in the Panzer radios.
                Suggestion: If you have an issue removing a radio chassis from its box, a tube may have become loosened and caught on the internal frame of the box, making removal challenging. If you use force the tube will of course be destroyed.
                I think the best solution is to take a sheet of soft aluminum flashing and insert it so that it becomes sort of a ramp, pushing the tube back into place as the chassis is extracted. This tip might save someone a bit of grief.

BTaylor

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post

I am still on the fence though as there are some factors that I do like about the frame and some I don't. Let's see if we can find any other "FJ" stamped examples.

regards,

Funksammler

Just in my opinion..
                  FJ stamp is stamp of czech maker of motorcycles (know as JAWA),but Im not sure that factory do any stuff for germans during war
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franti...k_Jane%C4%8Dek
                  Stamp on early bikes :

Comment

Looks like it, well spotted!

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X