Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete Navy 1942 Radio Gen w/IWO JIMA papers

Alright, gotta love estate sales.

Any idea what it might sell for as I'll move it here first.

Well I found this 1942 Complete radio generator set that's complete with all paperwork, it was manufactured by Atlas aircraft products Corporation, it has all the extra parts like gaskets down to values even a value puller, even a new carberator etc. Ready for any field repairs I guess. All the extra parts are there from I can see, I haven't inventoryed it but it looks like it's complete. All the parts are still in the boxes, cables and headset w/chest mic. Motor turns over easy, I haven't tried to start it but I bet it would in less than 5 pulls after you put gas and oil in. Still in the original shipping storage box with all military plates from the manufacturer with an issue number I think 134 (can't remember) low number for sure. Comes with the tool bag with tools, cover for generator and everything you see in the photos associated with it.
    What's even cooler is there was paperwork inside from a Chaplain from WW2 who wrote a book and a compilation of broadcasts to ships personal and troops on board U.S.S. FREDERICK FUNSTON (APA-89) by Chaplin John the wolf U.S.N.R. A lot of his personal views and experances.
    He covers base X, Guam, Iwo Jima, Carolina islands, Solomon islands, covers the invasion the Iwo Jima, Chichi JIMA, Hana Jima, talks about Admiral Nimitz, Saipan, Tinian, Palau, he talks about the Germans in the Japanese the Pacific Fleet, he talks about the captains son who is in the Marines and died while he was on IWo Jima while the ship was at Iwo. Comes with a copy of the letter chaplain wolf wrote the ship captain's wife giving his condolences, it has her name and address etc. He talks about iron bottom bay the Yorktown and so many places I'm not getting into it all lol.. there's probably 20 other locations and landings and assaults...
    He also talks about Islands that use stones for money and some as big as cars for the rich. He wrote a pretty neat inside history of everywhere they went and how bad it was. I'll include a photo of one page so you can get an idea. Included is a book that I was given by one of the lady's at the sale after I asked more questions. It's from Chaplin wolf and signed by him to another chaplain in 1996. I haven't read it so I'll leave that up to the new owner

I'm going to move it on the site within the next week or two, so any help on pricing etc would be great. Please note when I do I live in Calif and really don't want to ship it as I'm not sure the cost so anything local would be great but I will if your willing to pay the cost. The shipping/storage box is in great condition and it's on wheels, but I bet it'd have to be shipped on a pallet so nothing gets damaged. But I'd drive halfway for anyone who's in calif when it's time.
    Please note there are so many things he talks about within his papers that I'm not writing them all down as it's a lot. My guess is the set came from the family or was a gift to someone as it's pretty complete, as stated it has a signed book, his War time notes from the ship (condition ok) the complete US NAVY radio set besides the Radio of course, but I found the radio on the Net so I bet that can be picked up to complete a great display. I hope you enjoy the shots and story and any help would be great. Thanks.
    I'll post more photos as I can.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sgt Shield; 08-08-2017, 01:48 PM.

Another shot
    Attached Files

Comment

And
      Attached Files

Comment

Book and paperwork
        Attached Files

Comment

More paperwork for the unit. Complete..
          Attached Files

Comment

All the extra parts for field repair etc. seems complete with spark plus to gaskets
            Attached Files

Comment

Everything in the box.
              Attached Files

Comment

Orig manual.
                Attached Files

Comment

One of 13 pages from the Chaplin. Pretty neat subjects and history on every page.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                    It looks like a Navy EF-8 gas generator for a USMC TBX-8 radio, although the manual is of a previous model (EF-4). Some items simply do not belong to the generator set, like the chest microphone and headset, and maybe some of the cased accessories too (hard to see their labels). Collectors would notice the lack of the black and the red gas cans. Other than that, it seems ok.
                    Regards

Comment

Thank you for the reply, I was wondering if anyone read the posting lol.
                      Well it's complete and here's one plate inside the box. (The gas and oil can is missing) It's also a Navy one even though both are Dept of the Navy, but I guess it could be used by both if needed, but look above at the photos you'll see the Navy stamp at the bottom of the plate in the chrome circle.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Sgt Shield; 08-17-2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Also having the mic or headset isn't a big deal, matter of fact it shouldn't matter at all, if anything it adds to the collection. Who ever put the items away just put the headset/mic in the wrong box. The oil and gas can is obtainable if someone wanted to complete the set so that's not a huge issue. I haven't opened every box and counted the items but it seemed to be all there, if anyone is interested in this set lmk as I'm just going to list it as I found it and move it as I'm not intoitems like this.

Any idea what the price of just the box is and not the paperwork or would not matter as well. As stated next week I'll throw a price on it if no one gives me an idea I'll just see if anyone wants to add this to they're collection.
                        Thank you for the reply.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh please note the box and generator is a EF4. Not an 8 as you pointed out. It was issued to the Navy as if you look at the plates and at the bottom in the chrome circle it's stamped with an anchor and US on each side, remember these are on the generator themselves.
                          Any other info would be great.

Thanks for the help.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sgt Shield; 08-17-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Another plate on the generator.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Last shot of one of the plates on the gen, it shows what radio set it was for etc. as stated it seems the only thing missing is the extra gas and oil tank. I've also found a site that had some to sell. This seems 99% complete with extra headset/mic. Complete with Iwo Jima paper info etc etc...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sgt Shield; 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X