Hitlers Phone Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitlers Phone Sold

The last thread was pulled because of a slanging match? lets keep it calm please.
    Is this just sour grapes from the German 'expert' ?
    One presumes when the bunker was being costed. it read.
    Phones Black x 20 (ish)
    Switchboard x 1
    Communication wire x 1000 metres.
    Plus, toilet pans x 6, toilet roll holders x 6, you get my drift. So 20 standard black
    phones of the time. What about the engraving, is that a political type eagle of the era.
    Why the full name on the back? were they all like that. I would have thought if they
    were the least bit bothered, it would be A - H either side of the dial.
    Its a newspaper picture of 1963, the phone looks more black than red, but it is news
    print. They guy waited a long time to dick with it and got no benefit (dead) and I cannot see the relatives being that crafty or knowledgable about such things. If it has
    not gone to a museum, we will see whats happens when it appears again, out of a
    private collection. (If at all)

Cheers,
    John
    Attached Files

ADDENDA: The handset to the telephone is not typical of those which usually were fitted to the Siemens Model W38. The ear cup of the handset and the handset itself are both marked "S.B.&CO. LTD" by maker Siemens Bros. in the UK, an independently owned one-time branch of Siemens Germany which until World War II was still actively trading on many different levels with its original owners in Germany. This receiver, in Siemens Germany''s stock, was custom-fitted to this phone simply to keep it from bouncing off the cradle while in transit. The heat-blistered paint on the body of the telephone and the braided cord match those seen on the handset and further prove that the handset is original to the telephone. Additionally, photographs shown here reveal that the interior of the telephone and its electrical fittings are original. They also show that the telephone and handset were painted red AT THE TIME OF MANUFACTURE. At some point in time, a section of the Bakelite body was broken and a contemporary repair was made with the entire phone repainted, certainly while in Hitler''s possession. This is evident as the paint over the repair (on the left side of the telephone) is uniformly crackled and blackened from the heat and soot resulting from the botched attempt to burn Hitler''s quarters in the Fuhrerbunker. Please see additional photographs.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is some story, this phone should be placed in a collection with a "Bat Phone" and/or other fantastic props, perhaps next to Harry Potter's magic stick and the likes. One would very much have to stretch their imagination on this one being in the Bunker. But collecting is full of that all around. I have had folks over the years show me all sorts of "interesting" looking items with all sorts of "interesting" history, most of which can never be substantiated. In the absence of a clear original (not photo-shopped) period photo in Hitler's study and/or ORIGINAL Siemen's records clearly identifying this specific phone as being shipped and delivered to the Reich Chancellery, to believe this phone is AH's and/or from the Bunker is one heck of a stretch, to say the least, and putting it mildly. And as far as things "coming from the family of a vet or the vet himself", Oh boy, I think all of us seasoned collectors on this forum can compose dissertations to this regard in postulating how erroneous it would be to base authenticity on such "provenance". I feel very sorry for the individual who spent their money on this "exotic" relic. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Buy the item, not the story.

Glen
        Collector of Wehrmacht Ordnance, Optics & Field Equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The story of that phone is far fetched to say the least.
          Im still surprised everyone buys into the "Hitlers Allach Alsatian" story also
          Berlin blows up
          Bombs everywhere
          Russians storming in and trashing everything.......
          But....... the Allach Alsatian comes out without a ding, or scratch.....
          Its a miracle

Comment

What baffles me that on some parts of the WAF if a single thread on a piece of clothing is wrong, the item is deemed a fake. Here we have glaring inconsistencies in the object, the story, the technical background and still people believe in it, some even spending a fortunes on it.

I don't think there are any sour grapes from German, Dutch, American and other knowledgeable collectors that have tried to point out the facts, just disbelief at how easily people are being conned.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X