Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 W.S.E exact role?

Dear All,

Could anyone please give more information on the exact role / historical development of the 15 W.S.E? I see it could be used to transmitt the Feldfernschreiber messages and it could be used in vehicles (with accessories to power off from the vehicles' batteries) as well as carried by foot troops. But what else could be said about the set? Was it meant to be a replacement or improved version of any previous radio set like Fu 9 (combination of Torn.e.b + 5 WS)? What branch of service (infantry, artillery etc) was it supposed to give support to?
    Many thanks for your comments!

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Here you have nice table. Everything comes down to frequency range that was used as Germans had different frequency ranges assigned to different specific purposes. 15 W.S.x is FuG 19 SE 15

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...kgeraete-R.htm

Comment

Hi Val,

Great table, thanks very much!!!
      I had a similar one, not as complete though...
      So, a set for the commanding vehicle of an lightly armoured motorized infantry unit (Kommandeurs Schützenpanzer), did I get it right?
      Were these not later absorbed by or turned into Panzergrenadier units???
      Typical Schützenpanzer vehicles would be Sd.Kfz.250 halftracks?
      I see a lot of different radio equipment in the table assigned to Schützenpanzer which keep the subject a bit cloudy as to how the different sets were supposed to be coordinated and work together. Or maybe new sets replaced previous ones...
      Anyone can give us more details?
      Thank you!

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Comment

Dear All,

Ok, I found more information on this here in past threads and also on books.
        15 W.S.E was used in both Kfz.17 radio vans and Sd.Kfz.251/6 half track commanding vehicles. These worked together (maybe one in the front line at observation post and the other in a rear position?) and were apparently also simultaneously equipped with other radio sets to communicate with various specialized ground troops (including Panzergrenadier regiments, Panzerjäger anti-tank units and tank units) as well as with Luftwaffe dive bombers.

15 W.S.E was in this way a piece of the radio net required for combined operations of all these units (which could perhaps explain the variety of different sets attributed to Schützenpanzer).

There is a diagram in page 220 of Pierre Metsu's "Les Matériels Radio de la Wehrmacht / German Radio Sets 1933-1945" which gives an idea of the radio net for these combined operations - shame I failed to post a copy of same diagram here! (maybe someone else manages to do it)

So, despite being designed not purely as a vehicle set but also as a man-portable unit (it is possible to connect shoulder straps and a lumbar pad to it) and despite having accessories for a field installation (pedal generator, mast antenna etc) 15 W.S.E apparently was not at all intended for foot troops!

Any other comments?
        I appreciate any correction / contribution.
        Thank you!

Best regards,

Cristiano

Comment

Most command nets in the divisions relied on medium wave (medium range, lower level command net) and long wave (long range, higher level command net). The tactical forward communication was performed by low powered shortwave or VHF sets. Long wave was also used to communicate upwards to corps and army level.

The 15 W.S.E was a shortwave command set that was typically used for medium range communications. Due to the nature of shortwave transmissions, considerably longer range connections could be established but this depended on time of day and conditions. More skillful operators would be required to get the most out of this set.

Going through the KStN information, early in the war few 15 W.S.E's could be found in the divisions, the set was mainly used for backwards communication at corps and army level. Later KStN's see a few sets pop up in the divisions which would allow them to set up a single shortwave link within the division or link with corps level.

Both the 100 W.S and the 15 W.S.E.b could operate with the Feldfernschreiber, this hints that the 15 W.S.E.b is used in a similar role to the 100 W.S.

Too few 15 W.S.E's were distributed to set up extensive command networks within divisional and higher levels, so the 15 W.S.E can probably best be seen as an alternative for the 100 W.S. in higher administrative links.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Originally posted by cris2006 View Post
            Any other comments?
            From that same table see what Tornisterfunkgerät shares the frequency range with 15W.S.E. That was one purpose.
            Next, Hellschreiber. Only 15W.S.E.b had the connector for the Hellschreiber, earlier model 15W.S.E.a didn't have this connector. Then, when you look at the table you see, that 1kW.S.b shares the same frequency range with 15W.S.E.b and 1kW.S.b was also the sender which has the Hellschreiber connector. So from such a little pieces comes the whole picture together.

Comment

Hi Funksammler,

Many thanks for the additional information.
              So, do you see the 15 W.S.E as a set for combined ground and Luftwaffe operations as stated in some books or was this just one of the possible applications of the set?

I ask because you write about 15 W.S. E from a command perspective (which sounds more reasonable to me) rather than a specific tactical scenario, as it is the case with a couple of books I have.

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Comment

Thanks Val!

Comment

Originally posted by cris2006 View Post
                  Hi Funksammler,

Many thanks for the additional information.
                  So, do you see the 15 W.S.E as a set for combined ground and Luftwaffe operations as stated in some books or was this just one of the possible applications of the set?

I ask because you write about 15 W.S. E from a command perspective (which sounds more reasonable to me) rather than a specific tactical scenario, as it is the case with a couple of books I have.

Best Regards,

Cristiano
                  It is possible, but I can not find any real evidence for the luftwaffe combined ops angle. What is certain is that a limited number of 15 W.S.E's were assigned within the divisions, at corps and at army level. The radio company would choose their equipment as and when required and if there was a tactical need they could certainly deploy their 15 W.S.E in a tactical operation.

Even in the Kriegsetat 44, you find at most four 15 W.S.E's in a division, hardly enough to build an extensive network, so it was probably more typically used to liaise between major elements of the division.

As to the 15 W.S.E being used by the Flivo's to communicate back to base, in some rare cases perhaps but the set's range does not strike me a sufficient to do this reliably. Especially as the Flivo's typically had the more powerfull FuG10 shortwave set available I do not really see the point.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

I think the 15W.S.E* series are some of the most interesting of transceivers produced in that era. I've restored one and really got into its guts and schematic. Very interesting and complex design, and 8 separate power connectors with different voltages!

Did you know, that Telefunken changed the schematic design of the 15W.S.E.b after serial number 067410?

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri D. View Post
                      I think the 15W.S.E* series are some of the most interesting of transceivers produced in that era. I've restored one and really got into its guts and schematic. Very interesting and complex design, and 8 separate power connectors with different voltages!

Did you know, that Telefunken changed the schematic design of the 15W.S.E.b after serial number 067410?
                      So what was the change?

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

I remember reading that Rommel used 15W.S.E.b with Hellschreiber in Africa to exchange messages with Berlin.

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post
                          I remember reading that Rommel used 15W.S.E.b with Hellschreiber in Africa to exchange messages with Berlin.
                          Unlikely, although shortwave links were established between the shore of Africa and Italy and Crete using the Lo70K39 and Kw.E.a (and a Radione R3 as backup receiver). These links used normal telegraphy.

If you can get hold of "Adler ruft Führerhauptquartier" by Dammert and Kurowski it lists quite a lot of detail of these links.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

I found where it's written.

http://www.agder.net/la8ak/31a.htm

"It is mentioned that Rommel used 15W.S.E.b with Feldfernschreiber in Africa,
                            without much problems to exchange messages with Berlin."

Now the real source has to be found.

40 meter band is the king of DX (long distance QSO) and fit's nicely into the 15W.S.E frequency range. I think with skilled operator and good antennas it could be done. Maybe LA6NCA has some input from his experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
                              So what was the change?

regards,

Funksammler

The serial number is significant, since they made a schematic modification after serial number 67410, where the suppressor grid of tube #1 (power amplifier) became connected to ground (0) and not the anode (17). Prior to serial number 67410, it was connected to the anode circuit.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X