Enigma Machine Rebooted Relic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enigma Machine Rebooted Relic

Since 2012 I started this project of taking a ground dug enigma relic and try to bring the old girl back to life. Between ebay, Enigma Museum (Tom Perera & Klaus Kopacz), and Jim Oram at Enigma Replica, I finally have a semi working enigma machine that is 85-90% original. So let me show you what I started with:
    Attached Files

Enigma Rebooted

I purchased another enigma base, since the original one had a hole where the battery box was located at. I also found a cheap original bottom half of the wooden enigma box and attached a 1930's turntable lid. Most of the items on the lid are from original enigma wooden lids. I have a complete set of steckers/ plugs but they need to be repaired. Here is the finished project.
    Attached Files

Comment

Enigma Cypher

I rewired it since the original wiring harness was severely damage by the elements. I kept the rotors and the reflector as original as possible, but a couple of the rotors needed the wiring replaced and all of them needed the springs replaced. Actually all the steel coil springs rusted away and needed to be replaced in the machine. I still need to adjust the ratchet mechanism so when I depress the key, the rotor automatically advances one position. Otherwise it is electronically functional.
      Attached Files

Comment

Left Over Parts

Question: Do you know what is better than an Enigma Machine? Answer: Two Enigma Machines. Because it is a little difficult to find original spare parts, I kept everything I did not use. I did not want to just store them in a drawer either. I had enough parts to actual build a second Enigma Machine. I only had to manufacture the lid, a new board for the plug panel (all hardware on the board are original), and build the supports which hold the reflector and rotors together. The ratchet mechanism is broken and I did not rewire it either. It is just for a static display. The box is an original Luftwaffe enigma container. Here are some pictures:
        Attached Files

Comment

My Twins

Here are my twins:
          Attached Files

Comment

Great job. Congrats..😊

Sal

Comment

Wow good job....you have patience

Comment

Awesome, have you tried doing any decoding with your working one?

Comment

Amazing restorations. Even a non working static machine is a nice artifact for displaying. Congrats!

Comment

Nice job

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X