Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Festungsfernsprecher (Bunker Telephone) Questions

Hi All,

There is a very interesting discussion going on now on Enigma machines, sorry for interrupting with more mundane items, like bunker telephones! :-)
    I do not know much about these telephones apart from the fact that there were different models that had handsets and others that had connections for headsets like the Kriegsmarine artillery model headsets.
    The phone in the link below seems to have the bottom connection for the KM headset:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/321391099144?...84.m1423.l2649

Do you agree???
    Did this model also have a handset on the left side or was it something else?
    I ask because the "hook" on the left side is different from the usual hook on which bunker telephone type handsets were placed.
    I appreciate your comments... and after them lets go back to the fascinating Enigma topic...
    Thank you!

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Hi All,

OK, I found another thread with a picture of a bunker telephone similar to the one of the ebay auction I mentioned, (except for the connection arrangements in the bottom of the unit):

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...gsfernsprecher

Also, one of the external links in the same thread (http://www.wehrtechnikmuseum.de/Noch...precher_d.html) answers my question with respect to the "hook" on the left side - ok, it is in fact a lever, not a hook for a handset.

The only thing I do not understand is the purpose of the lever since the external link provides explanations on the Festungsfernsprecher D, which was basically two telephone systems in the same unit and the lever (if I understood it properly) allowed the operator to switch from one system to another.

However, the bunker telephone of the ebay auction I mentioned does not seem to be a "two in one" unit, it looks more like a "one in one" as front cover and and internal configuration are different from a Festungsfernsprecher D.

Also, my question about the bottom plug of the ebay auction phone (is it for a KM headphone?) remains a mistery to me.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you,

Cristiano

Comment

The D 796 manual states: "Wird ausser dem handapparat des Festungsfernsprechers ein Kopffernsprecher benötigt, so ist der Festungsfernsprecher mit Schauzciehen un mit Grossem Batteriekasten verzusehen. Der Fernsprecher erhält dann eine Anslchussdose für Kopffernspecher"

The subsequent description shows only connection boxes for the standard 5 pin telephone connector, so I guess the round one for the Kriegsmarine headset would be a specific Kriegsmarine version not mentioned in D 796.

It certainly looks like a connector for the special 4 pin plug of the navy headset which is mounted in place of the standard cable gland for the handset cable.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Hi Funksammler,

Many thanks for the info.
        Any clue about the purpose of the lever on the left side of the unit since it is not a typical Festungsfernsprecher D?

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Comment

The bunkertelephone looks a bit like the U boat telephone!

Comment

Hi Glaser,

Can you provide a pic or link of the U-boat phone you mentioned - I have never seen one of these before.

Thank you,

Cristiano

Comment

I think the switch on the left side (Hakenumschalter) has the same function as with the "standard" Festungsfernsprecher.

You can find a scan of D976 here: http://www.rkk-museum.ru/documents/a.../D796-1940.pdf

You can find the schematic of the Festungsfernspecher 35 and 38 on pages 133 - 134.

regards,

Funksammler

Originally posted by cris2006 View Post
              Hi Funksammler,

Many thanks for the info.
              Any clue about the purpose of the lever on the left side of the unit since it is not a typical Festungsfernsprecher D?

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Comment

Thank you again, Funksammler!
                Best Regards,
                Cristiano

Comment

Originally posted by cris2006 View Post
                  hi glaser,

can you provide a pic or link of the u-boat phone you mentioned - i have never seen one of these before.

Thank you,

cristiano
                  [ATTACH]2916730[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi Glaser,

Thank you for for the pic.
                    I found pics at a dealer's website which appear to be the same type of telephone:

http://www.kpemig.de/Bunkertelefon-O...Kriegsmarine_1

What do you think, is it the same U-boat type telephone?
                    Item was sold anyway...
                    Thanks.

Best Regards,

Cristiano

Comment

yes that is the one Christiano! Good find!

Comment

Kriegsmarine u-Boat telephone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpINckX3Bg

Phone above forward torpedotubes in use : see at 27 seconds

Comment

Hi all, happy New Year
                          That phone is in my collection, bought it from Klaus Peter Emig
                          Actually I have two, the other is not in such good condition but a nice addition to my main Bunker phone collection.
                          Not long received a superb example of the Kriegsmarine Bunker phone, KM "Eagle over M" stamped on the steel front
                          Hope 2016 is kind for all you collectors.
                          Regards Ian "feind-hort-mit"

================

Comment

congratulations on the U-Boat phone!
                            PS can you please post pictures of the one with the Kriegsmarine markings?

Comment

Kriegsmarine u boat telephone

Originally posted by feind-hort-mit View Post
                              Hi all, happy New Year
                              That phone is in my collection, bought it from Klaus Peter Emig
                              Actually I have two, the other is not in such good condition but a nice addition to my main Bunker phone collection.
                              Not long received a superb example of the Kriegsmarine Bunker phone, KM "Eagle over M" stamped on the steel front
                              Hope 2016 is kind for all you collectors.
                              Regards Ian "feind-hort-mit"

================
                              Hello Ian
                              congratulations on the U-Boat phone!
                              PS can you please post pictures of the one with the Kriegsmarine markings?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X