FF-33 Push Button Microphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF-33 Push Button Microphone?

I have recently acquired this, what seems to be a push button microphone utilizing a two prong plug. Could anyone enlighten me on exactly what this is and what it was used for?

It is not a microphone, it is an earpiece which could be used with telephones. Not sure if it is civil or military, the plug seems 1920-30's military, the rest seems early 1930's civil to me....

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

What would the button near the top be used for then? Simply to hear what is being said?

Comment

Yes, it is to switch the speaker on (you can see on the photograph how it pushes the input contact against the telephone contact spring).

It uses a peculiar magnetic speaker element where the membrane is indirectly vibrated by an anchor plate mounted within the speaker. This type is highly sensitive and interestingly this type of speaker element could be used as a sound powered microphone (The Linienfernsprecher 39 used these elements both as microphone and speaker).

So your unit could in theory be used as a micorphone, but then it would not have the two-pronged "Mithör" plug.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Thank you for the information Funksammler. I will test it later today to see how well it functions. But, you are unsure if it is military or not? The loop on top seems to be styled after the loop found on ff33 handsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer212 View Post
            Thank you for the information Funksammler. I will test it later today to see how well it functions. But, you are unsure if it is military or not? The loop on top seems to be styled after the loop found on ff33 handsets.
            There do not appear to be any military markings; if it was military, I would expect a Wa.A mark stamped into the bakelite somewhere. The logo on the speaker element is that of Siemens & Halske, who manufactured for the wehrmacht but also the civilian and export markets.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Kapseln designation is : Fg. mph. 56c

By Siemens designation "mph" was short for microphone = Mikrofon.
              "Fg" abbrev mean Fernmeldegerät.

At the same time base has designation 11.Fg.tph.29b

Tph is short for telephone. While mph was a marking on sprechkapseln (microphone), tph was a marking on hörkapseln (earpiece).
              Last edited by Val; 01-25-2014, 05:27 PM.

Comment

hey all!

i have the same item:
                -"box" have "11 Fg.tph.29.Tz.8" and the cap have "11.Fg.tph.29T13"
                -item inside have "Fg.mph.59a" and "5oz6"

so if i understand Val, its a microphone inside a "telephone" box??
                so its a microphone or not?
                thanks
                Charly

Comment

By design the capsule resembles so called "sound powered" or balanced armature telephone capsule which can be used both as telephone or microphone - it's just so sensitive that it can generate electrical signal just by sound without any external power. I think this item was used as a microphone.

Comment

Thanks Val!!

Comment

Mithörer for the Ftf.39 (and maybe used for the TF.38 as well). Uses the -almost- same capsule as the Festungsfernhörer.39 (megnetisch, Einzelteile). See here (from page 201.):
                      http://www.rkk-museum.ru/documents/a.../D796-1940.pdf
                      There were another two versions as well.
                      Csaba

Comment

There's capsule diagram on the page 204 (page 69 by the pdf viewer). This is indeed sound powered capsule that can be used in both ways.

BTW, RA3CC, is it possible that you scan this D 796 Handbuch fully? It is very interesting, i'd like to read it fully.

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post
                          ... is it possible that you scan this D 796 Handbuch fully? It is very interesting, i'd like to read it fully.
                          Sorry, Val, I do not have the full original any more. I've received it in 2012 from Alois Vesely of Praha, Czech Republic, and after scanning the pages I considered of interest, returned the original back to Praha.

I'm sure the book is still there, and if you are in touch with Alois you may try your luck yourself. I will go to Czech next coming Sunday (to Marienbad via Praha) and will be back to Moscow by early March. May try to contact Alois myself and see if I can help.

BTW the full list of Wehrmacht documentation originals Alois has in his possession contains 306 lines, and it seems that Werner Thote of Radeberg may have a copy of D796, too...

Comment

Originally posted by RA3CC View Post
                            Sorry, Val, I do not have the full original any more.
                            No problem, i find it then by myself. Thank you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X