X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect Panzer radio and power

Hello

Someone I know asked me panzer radio.
    I assume someone here know a lot about this or have done this before.
    Are there any drawings showing how to connect these things?

Regards LA6NCA
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.

I am hoping you can help with with my German radio set up.
    I have the 10 W S C transmitter, UKW e e receiver along with the power supplies for both.
    I also have the Kasten intercom box, headsets, morse key and hand mic.

I would like to see if these work but have absolutely no cables to connect the sets together or to their power supplies.
    Firstly were the Panzers 12V negative earth?

If so is it as simple as running wires from the 1-5 marked terminals on the power supplies to the 1-5 marked terminals on the sets?
    Also what of earthing the units?

I am not very technically experienced with these radios but am keen to build up a complete set and see if it works.

Thanks and hoping you can help.

Regards

Mark.

Hi LA6NCA. The overall schematics how everything is tied together here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=475671

But i strongly suggest (and you know this better than me) that it's easy
    to damage the tubes just by trying powering the old device.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=418145

Depending where your friend lives - let he finds some expert who performs
    first visual inspection inside and measures voltages without tubes etc.

Comment

The panzers were negative earth, but the earthing of the sets is irrelevant from a power supply point of view. The negative supply is fully connected via the connection cables. In the tanks, the radio housing would be earthed via the mounting frames to the chassis but they can be made to work without this earthing.

The cables were wired straight through, so pin 1 male connects to pin 1 female etc.

I can only repeat Val's warning that you have to be careful though, just connecting them up and hoping for the best is not a good strategy to get these radios to work. I can almost guarantee you that your radios will have issues. Even your power supplies will probably need cleaning to run properly, but a short test will probably do no harm.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

10 w s c

Thanks guys. I am the one who asked LA6NCA the original question.
        Some good advice which I will follow as much as my limited technical expertise allows.

While on the subject, however, my 10 W S C came with a couple of problems.
        The frequency range dial clicked into it's detent half way through it's range on one end while not at all at the other. I managed to fix it after careful dis-assembly and a couple of hours figuring out how it worked.

One detent arm just needed adjusting, although working out how to do this was a task in itself, while the other had a broken screw allowing it's clamping plate to fall away so the detent arm just moved around constantly.
        I managed to adjust the first and found the clamping plate for the second in the case so all I needed to do was find a screw to fit, cut it to length and set the arm in the correct position.

The frequency dial now works perfectly and clicks into it's detents in the correct positions.

The other problem, I have not solved yet. The Aus. - tn control is almost frozen moving about a quarter inch in either direction and only then with a little force. I will not, of course, apply any more force as that would certainly cause damage and not fix the problem.

Has anybody else had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks

Mark.

Comment

Hello Mark,

On the 3 10WSc I have, 2 have the power switch/selector extremely hard to move.
          Seems to be a "feature" of these power switches.
          Pushing them a little hard a few times usually does the trick. Make sure to apply constant pressure, no knocking.

Cheers

Comment

10 w s c

Thanks Dufleuve, I managed to move it a little further but still not enough to say it is working. I'll keep at it and see what happens.

You don't happen to have any spare cables laying around do you?

regards

Mark.

Comment

I would use some thin oil on the shaft and some contact spray on the internals to free the selector switch. Just keep moving it gently from side to side, don't use force.

As to cables, you will find that original power cables can be more expensive than the radios themselves. The Panzer sets used the "hooked" type plugs which are always sought after. They have been copied, but I don't see too many of these copies appear on Ebay yet.... To hook up the Kasten Panzer nr. 20 you are going to need a cable with a "T" plug which will be quite difficult to find. As to the antenne connection plugs, beware as quite a few of those offered today are copies.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Cables

Thanks Funksmmler.

I've tried the contact spray inside without success at this stage. I'll keep working on it and hope to get some improvement.

I'd new the cable were very rare and expensive so at this stage I would settle for repros is I could find them.

regards

mark.

Comment

Panzer signal units

I have collected some very interesting information about signal in German panzer units.
                  I have served on a panzer Batalion as a radio telegraphist, so I have great interest in this.
                  Do you have more information about this?
                  Here is the document:

http://www.la6nca.net/doc/panzercom.pdf

It is also a very interesting document about panzer repear units.
                  They also had signal repair units.
                  Have you any info on this?

http://www.la6nca.net/doc/panzerrep.pdf

La6NCA

Comment

Originally posted by LA6NCA View Post
                    I have collected some very interesting information about signal in German panzer units.
                    I have served on a panzer Batalion as a radio telegraphist, so I have great interest in this.
                    Do you have more information about this?
                    Hi LA6NCA

I know that there's two volumes of the hard cover books:

Repairing The Panzers German Tank Maintenance in World War 2

Content and sample pages:

http://www.rzm.com/magazines/pw/pws2022.cfm

http://www.rzm.com/magazines/pw/pws2053.cfm

Comment

Ukw.E.e power up

Hi

can be somebody so nice to let me know which voltages/currents on which pins I should put to safely run my Emil receiver please?
                      Picture will be helpful.

Regards,
                      I.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X