Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 V anode battery reproduction project

Folks,

I'm reproducing a 90V anode battery, and it would be nice if it could actually produce 90 Volts. I wanted to mount 10 9V battery holders and connect them in series to create 90 Volts. Is there information about how long the original Varta or Pertrix batteries lasted at a constant current drain, specifically mAh (mili amps per hour). The most powerful one is the Lithium 1604LC type with 1200 mAh. This would equate to 12 Ah if you combined 10 batteries together.

What is the mAh for the original anode batteries?

Here is the work so far:
    Attached Files

Comment

With the paper glued on:
      Attached Files

Comment

in radio:
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Yuri!!
          i cant help you on your question,sorry.
          But if you have a link for download a PDF of your anode package,i search somes for my recreation of Torn.Fu. for my reenacting group.
          Thanks!

Comment

This datasheet lists the capacity in Ah for two different models. Nice project by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri D. View Post
              I wanted to mount 10 9V battery holders and connect them in series to create 90 Volts. Is there information about how long the original Varta or Pertrix batteries lasted at a constant current drain, specifically mAh (mili amps per hour). The most powerful one is the Lithium 1604LC type with 1200 mAh. This would equate to 12 Ah if you combined 10 batteries together.
              Maybe I understand you wrong, but to get 12 Ah capacity at 90 V using 9 V 1200 mAh batteries, you would need 100 of them connected in a mix of serial and paralel. How are you going to fit that many in that small box?

Comment

Actually, looks like depending on if the cells are round or flat, the anode battery produces from 1.4 -2.4 Ah. The 9 Volt battery produces 1.2 Ah (1200 mAh) so 10 batteries in series should produce 90 Volts at 1.2 Ah.

Take the Torn.E.b receiver. It uses 4 x RV2P800 tubes which consume on average 3.5 mA for anode voltage and 0.8 mA for screen grid voltage for a total of 4.3 mA that is drawn from the anode battery per tube. Multiply by four, and you get 17.2 mA for the Torn.E.b receiver

Let's assume that we are using a flat-cell type with 2.4 Ah. Divide 2.4 by 0.0172 gives you 139.53 hours of operation (since the Ah figure is cumulative) theoretically. The actual 2.4 Ah is only worth about 60%, because once you discharge the battery sufficiently it will give less than 90 volts. There is an equation called Peukert's law which describes the capacity of lead-acid batteries at the the rate they are discharged. Long story short, you get less current from a battery than Ah would indicate.

The 9 volt cells in series provide 1.2 Ah which allow theoretical operation for 69 hours. At 60% that's 41 hours. Using Peukert's equation it's 79 hours assuming the 9 V batteries have a 20 hour discharge time.

It would be a fun experiment. Just connect an equivalent resistor of 5.2 kOhms at 2 or more Watts to simulate the Torn.E.b load, and measure voltage every hour. This should give you the true Ah of the batteries.

Yuri
                Last edited by Yuri D.; 07-18-2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Battery Box Power

Hello, I'm working on a new Torn.Eb power.
                  I am looking for a replica battery box that I can mount Power in.
                  How can I make a box with Pertrix mark. Or is there something to buy?

http://www.la6nca.net/homebrew/pow_TornEb/index.htm

Comment

LA6NCA,

One possibility is to print the original scan to the stiffer drawing paper and then wrap it around the rigid box.

This is of course simplified scan, but we need proper scan of the survived original batteries.

http://www.pa2mrx.nl/images/Batterij...attery_90V.jpg

Who has nice original battery and can share proper scans?

Comment

There is an orginal for sale on estand

Comment

Color is Important

LA6NCA

Try contacting Gerhard Heigl http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ofa_per...atterie_9.html .
                        The color of his repro battery is not postwar blue and yellow.

Cheers
                        ARYEH

Comment

Originally posted by LA6NCA View Post
                          Hello, I'm working on a new Torn.Eb power.
                          I am looking for a replica battery box that I can mount Power in.
                          How can I make a box with Pertrix mark. Or is there something to buy?

http://www.la6nca.net/homebrew/pow_TornEb/index.htm

I bought some nice repros on ebay some time ago and I might have one extra for you. Drop me a PM if you´re interested.

dot-byf

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X