Torn. Fu. b1 extra knob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn. Fu. b1 extra knob?

I have seen several Torn. Fu. b1 with an extra knob, at the bottom, just right to the model/year shield. At the examples I have seen, the knob is placed the exactly same place and the knob looks correct from the periode. Is this a official wartime modification? What is the function of it?

knob

hello hendrik
    this knob is a war time modification , it's a switch like on the feldfu
    it switch off the transmitter if i good remember , they add with painting
    some indications just above the switch ," sparen " , it's to spare the batteries , and use the torn fu b1 or f as a receiver , in place of transceiver
    pierre

Comment

Hi Pierre

Thank you for clearing this up, I was at a friend to buy a Torn. Fu. b1, but decided to buy a Torn. Fu. f instead, because of this extra knob was added to the Torn. Fu. b1 he had. See my other thread with pictures of the Torn. Fu. f.

Comment

The extra "Strom sparen" knob is an original factory production change made late in the war to the Torn.Fu.b1. Most b1's I have seen it on are from 1944 and later.

I am surprised to see it on a 'green faceplate" example since these were produced up to about 1940, long before the "strom sparen" feature was added. I suspect it is an example made up with components from different radios with a bit of a repaint.

You will only find this feature on the b1 because c and f models were no longer in production at that time and the k has a different power supply altogether. The knob is the same type as used on the E52 Koeln.

I just want to make it clear that it is an original feature for a late war Torn.Fu.b1.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

hello
          about the" sparen " note that on some sets i have seen there is clearly
          the place where to drill , and insert the "sparen switch " , on other
          nothing .
          my set is number 500 /44 antracit black , plug for telephone link
          is provide , on some it's omitted and the "anschlussklinke ID remove "
          i have seen many tornfu sets , and when telephone plug is removed , note
          that the wiring harness is still made for connecting it to the telephone
          plug , just the ends are insulate to avoid short circuit .
          i have found no official information about the sparen modification
          D940/ 3 is too early (7.5.37) and D940/6 is from 1941 .
          same thing about the torn fu b1 calibrator described by Bauer on his site
          pierre

Comment

Pierre,

Are you talking about this calibrator?

http://battlefrequencies.com/accesso...orn_fu_bf.html

I've also been looking for some documentation related to this device (other than that ON the device itself).
            Attached Files

Comment

yuri yes that's what i means , my calibrator is 456/42, and the cable is also poor
              we have to consider that a great number of tornfu b1 , c, f are made
              an ordonance/ overhault unit must exist , and they use this device to make measurements , that is not allowed to ordianary troop .
              i also have the same calibrator for the tornfu d2 , made in 1943
              by ostmarkwerk Prag ( CZ), as frequency is higher then ton fu b 1
              cable is in good condition ( blue vacca coaxial cable luft )
              pierre

Comment

Pierre,

Please post photos of the Torn.Fu.d2 calibrator (I've never seen one).

Yuri

Comment

yuri it's done i send you pm
                  pierre

Comment

Extra knob - Strom sparen.

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
                    The extra "Strom sparen" knob is an original factory production change made late in the war to the Torn.Fu.b1. Most b1's I have seen it on are from 1944 and later.

I am surprised to see it on a 'green faceplate" example since these were produced up to about 1940, long before the "strom sparen" feature was added. I suspect it is an example made up with components from different radios with a bit of a repaint.

You will only find this feature on the b1 because c and f models were no longer in production at that time and the k has a different power supply altogether. The knob is the same type as used on the E52 Koeln.

I just want to make it clear that it is an original feature for a late war Torn.Fu.b1.

regards,

Funksammler
                    Hi Funksamler,

it's not quite right, I have Torn.Fu.f model from 1942, with stromsparen knob.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...mhoRW55azgwRjQ

Tomas
                    Last edited by tatrovka; 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Indeed there is a question mark over the "Strom sparen" knob on the Torn.Fu.f. I have spotted at least three "f"s with this feature. As far as we know, the "Strom sparen" knob was only factory produced in 1943 on the Torn.Fu.b1, by which time the Torn.Fu.f was already out of production. So the only way that 1942 dated "f"s would have gotten them would be by later modification. Perhaps some "f"s returned to maintenance depots after 1943 were modified. None of the "f"'s seem to have the "Normal - Strom - Sparen" legend added seen on factory examples. It would be interesting to investigate a modified "f" to see if there are any further clues to be found...

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Thanks Funksammler for investigation, every new info about this mystery is very helpful. Added detailed picture of the switch on my Torn.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...nZYMW1Hb1czUkU

Tomas

Comment

This one is the first one I have seen with the "Normal - Strom - Sparen" logo added. What I suspect has happened here is that the bottom module of a late war Torn.Fu.b1 was used with with a tagplate of a Torn.Fu.f added. To test this theory you would have to look on the inside, look for stamps and dates on the compenents in the bottom module. What are the minimum and maximum numbers on the transmitters tuning scale?

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Funksammler , good idea sure (so easy I'm slightly embarrassed) I will look also of the inside components, they have their specific numbers labels, which will correspond with parts on the scheme. As I know there are different in each model...but unfortunately I don't have schemes for "b" and "f" models. Can you provide me with the mentioned schemes?

Thanx, Tomas.

Comment

Only the transmitter module is (slightly) different between the b1 and the f model, the tuning coils and capacitors will have a sligthly different value. Component numbering will be the same and the receiver and control module should be identical between the types.

There may be differences in early and late war component numbering systems though. I noticed this with the Torn.Fu.d2, in early examples all components are numbered consecutively while on late war examples components of a different type (e.g. resistors, capacitors) are numbered separately. I have not checked if the same applies to late war Torn.Fu.b1's.

I had a look for b1 schematics, I only have early war examples (obviously without the "Strom sparen" knob), I will see if I can make a scan or photograph.

What to look out for specifically are dates on any block capacitors as these are usually dated. Also look out for inspection or modification stamps, especially if they are different from those on the transmitter part.

I also noticed on the photograph of the date plate that there appears to be some markings and re-application of paint around the rivets, an indication that the date plate was removed and re-applied at some point.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X