Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Typewriter

Kriegsmarine Typewriter.

- Has anyone ever seen one of these and an idea of a sales price?

I consider this one to be quite rare, but maybe i am wrong, could not find any other km typewriters.
    Attached Files

a

a
    Attached Files

Comment

I also have a Kriegsmarine typewriter, its made by the firm "Torpedo" (nice name:-) and its marked exactly like yours with "KRIEGSMARINE" on the side of the machine.. I also would like to know what these are worth? By the way; there is one just like yours on Ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Navy-...-/300534394979

Comment

A 1930s-1940s German standard manual office typewriter of this kind with the SS key might be worth 350-400 Euro. With no SS key and no military markings, a reasonable price might be $150 in the USA (less in Europe where they are more common). I think a Kriegsmarine typewriter would be somewhere in between those two values, I would suggest around 200 Euro might be a reasonable value.

Comment

I am wondering about this one, it is clearly a german produced typewriter, for the danish market, because of the Æ, Ø, Å letters, further more there is no german letters. The germans could have used locally captured typewriters, but I don't know for sure, maybe some one else know?

Comment

Sorry to say so, but this surely is a fake. The engraving and the font used for the "Kriegsmarine" text are already not very convincing, but the use of a non-German keyboard (the Germans have the "Z", "P" and "Y" are in different places amongst other things....) clearly identifies this as a fake. The one on Ebay clearly comes from the same source.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
              Sorry to say so, but this surely is a fake. The engraving and the font used for the "Kriegsmarine" text are already not very convincing, but the use of a non-German keyboard (the Germans have the "Z", "P" and "Y" are in different places amongst other things....) clearly identifies this as a fake. The one on Ebay clearly comes from the same source.regards,
              Funksammler
              THis one at least has the correct German legends. It is quite possible it has been used in Denmark or Norway where we have letters æ ø å . We had a fairly large German presence here in Norway for 5 years, with several navy bases, including 3 for U-boots ! I am reluctant to call it a fake.

rgds Ragnar

Comment

Originally posted by la5he@yahoo.no View Post
                THis one at least has the correct German legends. It is quite possible it has been used in Denmark or Norway where we have letters æ ø å . We had a fairly large German presence here in Norway for 5 years, with several navy bases, including 3 for U-boots ! I am reluctant to call it a fake.

rgds Ragnar
                I don't think the German armed forces would be typing their reports in the language of their conquered territories, they would type in German using typists that are used to German keyboards. Look at the letter "g", on hte engraving; show me any piece of original German engraving that uses this strange font..... So two red flags already, in my book that makes it a blatent fake.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

I collect typewriters. I believe the Kriegsmarine engraving on both machines is very likely original and that on the one at the start of the thread, the original umlaut letter keys that were on it when it left the factory were replaced with Danish/Norwegian keys after the war. Close examination of the type slugs would probably reveal evidence of this, any competent typewriter serviceman could easily do this work and in 1946 the parts would have been readily available. There would have been good reason to do this, too, as a machine like this cost more than $1000 in today's dollars, when it was new. Had this been intended for a foreign market when it was made the "Umschalter" and "Feststeller" keys would read differently. The one on eBay appears to have been more extensively modified, presumably it made its way to England at the end of the war. I have seen more than a few WWII veteran bring-back typewriters with modifications of this type; I myself have a 1944 "Erika" portable brought back by a Red Cross nurse where the Z and Y have been moved and a dollar sign key added to make it match the normal USA layout. Of course these post-war modifications do affect the value significantly. The font of the engraving does not strike me as implausible. Just my opinion.

Comment

Kriegsmarine typwriter

I have a Rheinmetall and a Continental and I agree with what Chris Pitmann stated: inscription and machine are wartime with postwar modifications IMO!

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris Pittman;5800131]I collect typewriters. I believe the Kriegsmarine engraving on both machines is very likely original and that on the one at the start of the thread, the original umlaut letter keys that were on it when it left the factory were replaced with Danish/Norwegian keys after the war. Close examination of the type slugs would probably reveal evidence of this, any competent typewriter serviceman could easily do this work and in 1946 the parts would have been readily available. There would have been good reason to do this, too, as a machine like this cost more than $1000 in today's dollars, when it was new.
                      For what it is worth, quite a lot of Nazi-equipment was modified and used here in Norway after WW2. When I did my national service in late 50s, the military still used f.ex Siemens WW2 teleprinters and terminal equipment.
                      Ragnar

Comment

Triumph typewriter with Kriegsmarine on the right

About 50 years ago I bought a Triumph typewriter (numbered 264814, so probably 1942) with the text Kriegsmarine in gold on the right side. Everything works and everything seems original. I will not sell this item but I'm just curious about the value of it. Thanks in advance.
                        Attached Files

Comment

350 euro; welcome on WAF and congratulations on your first post!
                          Last edited by glaser; 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
                            Sorry to say so, but this surely is a fake. The engraving and the font used for the "Kriegsmarine" text are already not very convincing, but the use of a non-German keyboard (the Germans have the "Z", "P" and "Y" are in different places amongst other things....) clearly identifies this as a fake. The one on Ebay clearly comes from the same source.

regards,

Funksammler
                            It is original!

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
                              350 euro; welcome on WAF and congratulations on your first post!
                              In that case it doesn't seem to make sense to let refurbish it. So it becomes an item for my children and grandchildren. Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X