Type B SOE Radio Suitcase ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type B SOE Radio Suitcase ?

While having a long overdue tidy up in the attic, I came across this suitcase that my father bought in the 1950's from a army surplus store in London. It was bought only as a suitcase with no contents, but my father was told by the store that they were suitcases used for SOE radios, and that the shop had bought a job lot, and were stripping them out for the suitcases only.
    This is one of the things that got my imagination fired up as a child, along with stories of the London blitz and various other military items that my Dad had as souvenirs.
    We kept in it reels of home movies and I was very fortunate to visit my Mother shortly after my Father died, only to find it out for the bin men' while she was having a spring clean (this is when the lid was torn off from the lower part of the case).
    My question is does anybody have good photos to really confirm that this is a genuine case and what are the chances of reproducing to some degree the radio contents.
    Thanks Gary
    Attached Files

Inside1
    Attached Files

Comment

inside 2
      Attached Files

Comment

suitcase

It certainly looks like a 1940-era British suitcase. Wether is has been used for radio is an open question, I suppose !
        Are you parting with it ? Many people are looking for " periode " stuff.

Rgds Ragnar

Comment

suitcase

hello gary i believe it's an original one , i have send to yuri 4 pictures of
          suitcase , they are from ebay sales or other and one is may be from ragnar . note that the suitcase is difficult to find alone , and that the radio
          parts are solded from time to time on ebay ; of course at high price .
          broken leather straps , are like on pictures , and we can see place where protection pad was fixed .,will be also interested in it if part with it
          regards pierre

Comment

Here is the photo
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Pierre and Yuri
              thankyou for your replies and photo, it does appear to the same type of case, do either of you have any good shots of the interior components ?
              Thanks
              Gary

Comment

Very nice suitcase for a type B MK II radio.

I just find the following one from southern France.

Unfortunately no suitcase or box for it.

Drop me an email if someone know an original suitcase for it.

Pictures:

Best regards
                Ben

Comment

cher Ben,
                  Perhaps the French did the same as the Norwegian Resistance. Some B2s came in parachute boxes and were put in locally made suitcases to blend in with the environment !
                  rgds Ragnar

Comment

Suitcase

Originally posted by la5he@yahoo.no View Post
                    cher Ben,
                    Perhaps the French did the same as the Norwegian Resistance. Some B2s came in parachute boxes and were put in locally made suitcases to blend in with the environment !
                    rgds Ragnar
                    Yes, you are right, i think that the parachutes boxes are rarest than the suitcases

Best regards
                    Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X