Artillery Spotter's Microphone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery Spotter's Microphone?

I picked this up a few years ago. I believe it is an artillery spotter's microphone. Does anyone know what the correct name for it?

It works with a field telephone by just plugging it in where the handset goes.

There is a cable coming out of the bottom. Is this a wire for a radio plug?

Neil

It's a "Brustmikrofon" or Chest Microphone, which is a piece of telephone equipment. The wire coming out of the bottom is not original, a female telephone plug would normally be plugged in the bottom so it could plug into a field telephone. They would most typically be used by plugboard exchange operators or other users that would require "hands free" operation. I have seen pictures of the microphone and headset being worn in artillery positions by fire control personnel, I am not so sure about it's use by observers. Observers tended to use the HAP 2 or "Stahlhelmhoerer" connected to the reel of the Fernbediengeraet of the Torn.Fu.b1.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Yuri has pictures on his site of one that has a clip on the back.

http://battlefrequencies.com/accesso...es/chest_1.php

The clip on mine is broken off so I thought the cloth wire may have been added to tie the microphone in place on the chest instead. I opened up the unit and the wire is definitely soldered to pins one and five. There is a groove in the bakelite where the pins are. If it was put in with a file, it was done by an expert. The cloth wire is definitely of wartime vintage but may have been added later.

Neil

Comment

Brustmikrofon

I believe there were several different versions of this type of microphone. Here is a picture from the book "S-Boote, German E-Boats in Action" by Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette. I have been looking for one of the setups like the one in the picture for several years to adorn a KM mannequin.
        Attached Files

Comment

I believe the pic shows the headset for the Kriegsmarine version FF33.
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522403

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
          I believe there were several different versions of this type of microphone. Here is a picture from the book "S-Boote, German E-Boats in Action" by Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette. I have been looking for one of the setups like the one in the picture for several years to adorn a KM mannequin.

Comment

Thanks. I never have been lucky enough to find one, but I have used a common wehrmacht chest microphone for my display in the meantime.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi !!!

How many do you want.....

No seriously (sorry about the bad quality of the picture... was taken in the Atlantikwall museum in Oosterend / Raversijde

I sold one set not too long ago on estand... to bad you didn't see it...

I still have a complete set with the gasmask microphone that went inside this "Sprechgerät"

Does anybody know the official name for it ??? I've been searching for info a very long time but still have no clue about the original name for this thing....

Tom
              www.mp44.nl

Comment

Kriegsmarine headset microphone KM

Does anyone has close ups of the Kriegsmarine markings on these headset please?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X