Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Torn E b radio

Hi

Finally my Torn E. b arrived from Austria, I have examined it closely and I am satisfied with it. The box and radio is having identical serials, the radio is from 1940. The one triangluar handle is missing(for closing the holder for the zubeh******246;r box). Inside everything is present, the 4 tubes is from Valvo, marked 1940. Somebody have adjusted the variable capasitors, in almost all 8 wave sections . In wave section 7 and 8 the cores of the coils have been turned and 2 of the cores have broken in the top , so I need to replace those and get some help adjustning the circuits. My plan is to get the radio working, if I can do it without compromising the autencity.
    I have a question regarding the power connector, why is the top connector marked E missing on some of the Torn E. b's?(see the pic with the power connector)
    Do some of you have the lid for the Torn E. b? Could you please then post some pictures of the inside and outside and details of the corners, because I am planning to make a lid myself.

Front:

Top:

Serial and year:

Missing handle(not this side, but the other):

Power connector:

missing pin

That was a saftey feature. The E means reciever and the S on the bottom means sender/ transmitter. This was to prevent pluging in a transmitter power supply in to a reciever. Since most german radios used the 5 pin connector for power. Plugging in a transmitter power supply would destroy the reciever. Same thing for a transmitter the pin would be on the bottom. In a low light area such as a tank this could easily happen. The E and S have no electrical connections, so the pin is not needed to make her work.

Regards
    Alan

Comment

Very nice early war Torn. E.b. Very nice condition. Please post photos of the inside.

Comment

Torn E. b inside

Hi

Thank you for your answers, here are some pictures of the inside.

Cover:

Back:

Trim capacitor:

Top:

The cores of the trimmer coils of band 7 and 8, has been messed with, the one in center is a bit damaged.

Side:

Tube:

The tubes is marked RLM Eigenturm, what does the RLM stand for?

"Fat capasitor"

This capasitor has "grown fat", I have't had the time to take it out and check
        the actual measured value of it, I'll guess it has to be replaced, if I want the receiver to work.

Replaced coil?

Has this coil been replaced? It looks like the wires is insulated with red modern
        insulation?

Replaced capasitor?

The same here, maybe the capasitor has been replaced? Does any of you other guys know about this? Could you maybe compare with your sets?

Cheers
        HCS
        Last edited by hcs; 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM.

Comment

That capacitor is correct.

Yuri

Comment

Originally posted by hcs View Post

The tubes is marked RLM Eigenturm, what does the RLM stand for?

Reichsluftministerium - the Air Ministry. Wonderful radio!!!
            The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X