Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Uhr / X-Clock of the X-Gerät / X-Geraet

Hello All,

I have been doing a deep search for a CORRECT description of how the X-Uhr of the X-Gerät works. There appears to be NO reference available anywhere to an original German description or operating instructions. Likewise on the Allied side...

There is an annotated photo on p. 46 in "The Secret War" by Brian Johnson, but I think the annotations are wrong.

The function of the large push button on the top of the unit seems straightforward. But what about the two knobs on the left-hand and right-hand side?

One of these two knobs appears to be connected to the small "1,5 - 4" scale., which shows some "scaling factor". Factor between what and what?

The large scale around the face of the instrument is marked "0 - 120". Time in minutes? Speed?

What is the position and movement (speed & direction) of the red / green / black pointers in response to actuation of any of the 3 knobs?

Per §27 in A.D.I.(K) Report No. 187/1944, there original design was larger than the later models. Unclear if "the original design" means the Prüfuhr Pr.U. 2, and the later model (of which there were at least two versions and two manufacturers) is the Pr.U. 28. Not sure about the Pr.U. 2, but the Pr.U. 28 has has a diameter of 17.5 cm.

A. Bauer suggests on p. 16 in "Some historical and technical aspects of radio navigation in Germany", that in the Y-Verfahren, the X-Clock was "triggered by the operators at the ground control station (the X-Uhr was mounted at the e-measure console)...", i.e., it was not installed in the aircraft (?), and upon reaching the bomb-release time, the clock automatically initiated sending a Mose code sequence to the aircraft, instead of the clock's contact (opening or closing?) causing the bomber's bomb racks to release the bombs in the programmed sequence.

I'm anxiously awaiting new (to me) info!

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X