Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use the old phones

LA6NCA
    Made a video showing how we can connect the old phones.

https://youtu.be/iDpC7pzdiq4

Hello La6cna

Normally one should not hear the numbering noise (in some old phone a contact insulates the earpiece)

The electromechanical systems used at the time were either a direct order step by step Strowger
    or an indirect control register :
    American rotary 7a (ITT in Europe)
    or Swedish or agf500 Erickson or crossbar

I worked in telephone switching for 40 years

73's F1AAG

Comment

Originally posted by rv12p2000 View Post
      Hello La6cna

Normally one should not hear the numbering noise (in some old phone a contact insulates the earpiece)

The electromechanical systems used at the time were either a direct order step by step Strowger
      or an indirect control register :
      American rotary 7a (ITT in Europe)
      or Swedish or agf500 Erickson or crossbar

I worked in telephone switching for 40 years

73's F1AAG
      The sound recording is tapped from the line, and then you hear the pulses just as if you were listening in with a linesman handset (in listen modus)

An alternative to the Dialgizmo and the voip adapter could be an X-link adapter who lets your old phone work on your mobile, about the same way as hands-free sets in a car. The x-link understands rotary and dtmf.

Comment

Some more phone videos

Thanks for the comments.
        Yes, the sound is recording from the line.
        I now have a lot of free time here at home.
        I we make some more phone videos.
        Do you have any suggestions for what to show?
        LA6NCA

Comment

I'm not sure what you have of phones, but several of the bunker phones and the bakelite magneto- phones like Tischfernsprecher 38 could be connected to receive calls on a modern automatic line. (The phone still needs the battery)

Could you please show that?

Comment

Hello Kabel

for central battery phone there is intensity required for proper operation

In some telephones in Europe the intensity is adjusted by resistance

for German phones it was the type of micro capsule that allowed to have the required intensity in Ma

For examples the French u43 (origin Erickson) 65 ma after s63 : 35 ma

regards

F1aag

Comment

Originally posted by rv12p2000 View Post
              Hello Kabel

for central battery phone there is intensity required for proper operation

In some telephones in Europe the intensity is adjusted by resistance

for German phones it was the type of micro capsule that allowed to have the required intensity in Ma

For examples the French u43 (origin Erickson) 65 ma after s63 : 35 ma

regards

F1aag
              Sorry, my English may be to bad, but I do not understand what you are telling.
              I love to learn more, so please explain more detailed.

The phones I mentioned had some kind of coil across the line with a DC resistance of a something like 300 ohms. This was to let the exchange see that the phone was off hook. The voice signal sent or received on the line worked like a local battery line just stopping the DC with a capacitor. That is the reason for needing the battery for supplying power to the transmitter (microphone)

The same system was used on the UK Type F, The US EE-8, TA43/PT, TA312/PT, Sweedish Fälttelefon MT m/37 among others

That has been working on my telephone line wen we had POTS, and it works on my ATA's and on my wireless telephone jacks.

Comment

Hello Kabel

for example : EE8 phone has 2 modes of operation local battery with micro batteries and generator

in central battery with the use of the hook switch and the use of the self (common battery holding coil)

In the central battery mode the intensity circulating in the line must have some value to function properly

http://www.kadiak.org/tel/ee8_1.jpg

some explanation

https://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/phones.htm

Regards
                RV12P2000

Comment

Thank you!

Looks like we are talking about the same thing.

Here are 2 diagrams where I have marked the DC path with red dash-dot lines.

The Tischfernsprecher 38 should have a relatively lo ohm ringer working as an holding coil.

The bunker telephone just uses the induction coil (transformer) to make the DC path.

Approx 500 ohms DC resistance is higher than what I expected, but it works here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X