M43 Luft cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mauser202 View Post
    I picked this up about a year ago. Don’t know a lot about these but had a real good feeling on it and the price was a real bargain.
    I like it (being far from an expert though)

Comment

Original hat,insignia looks replaced to me.

Glenn
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
        Original hat,insignia looks replaced to me.

Glenn
        I think the insignia is original to the cap. Under a loop the thread attaching the insignia matches the thread in the caps construction In style and patina perfectly.
        Attached Files

Comment

I picked this up about a year ago....the price was a real bargain.
          Good for you, it is a nice original hat; the price possibly reflecting the insignia almost certainly having been replaced.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
            Good for you, it is a nice original hat; the price possibly reflecting the insignia almost certainly having been replaced.

B. N. Singer
            I would agree about the insignia being replaced. Evidence of original thread present and what looks like a bevo cockade shadow as well
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Thanks for the your comments. I don’t know a lot about these and don’t understand how to tell if the insignia is replaced. It looks to me that it’s very tight to the cap and the thread that holds it on looks to match thread on the cap.

What are the tell tale signs of replacement? I do t understand what you mean by “ Evidence of original thread present and what looks like a bevo cockade shadow as well”

Do you mean this was replaced post war or period?
              Thanks for any help with understanding this. I don’t see any shadow I took another photo, can you point out what I am missing?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Mauser202; 12-31-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Cap good Insignias replaced. Look close, still old Thread there and the Shadow too. Still a good Cap with good Insignias, just restored.
                WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Agree with others,good cap with replaced insignia...this producer used bevo cockarde maschine sewn ,eagle either maschine or hand stitched.

Comment

Thanks all for the clarification.

Comment

M43 insignias

Hope this picture helps
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, so I take it that this is what it would look like as built?

Why are so many removed and replaced? I guess they are replaced post war?

Comment

Because that was the Law when the War ended. The Swastica had to be removed by Law. On August 30, 1945, the Allied Control Council prohibited all Germans from "wearing any military rank insignia, medals or other insignia".The ban also included Nazi swastikas. And so they had to be removed from absolut everything...Caps, Tunics, Buildings, what ever there was.....including you Cap. Some used there Military Cloth after the war because they had nothing else to wear....

Thanks, so I take it that this is what it would look like as built?

Why are so many removed and replaced? I guess they are replaced post war?
                          WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

An original cap with restored resewn original eagle+cockade . Not "rebuilt" !
                            A pretty common cap and manufacturer and as Gustav said , usually found with machine sewn on wool eagle + bevo grey cockade .
                            Nick

Comment

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions, and to all who added to this thread. It’ a lot more clear for me now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X