CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are aluminium chincords OK to see on Army visors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are aluminium chincords OK to see on Army visors?

Hi everyone,

This is a really basic question, but I want to ask if it is OK to see aluminium chincords on army officers' visor caps. The reason I ask is that on Helmut Weitze's site, he has several aluminium chincords that are described as being 'naturally for a Luftwaffe schirmmutze'. In appearance and construction I cannot see any real difference to army schirmmutze chincords, so I wondered if it is the fact that the cords are aluminium that marks them out as Luftwaffe.

Apologies if this is a boneheaded question, but I am trying to learn about visors, and this forum has some amazing resident experts.

Mark,

I have a few EREL and Schellenberg army and luft visors and they all appear to have similar aluminium cords.

Perhaps wait to see what the genuine experts say as I may be a bonehead too.

Mike

Comment

Never knew that there was any difference either??

I know that in general, Officer (non General) can be found in about 4 different materials or at least metallic coverings and one non metallic. It was always about the time frame they were made and by who rather than the service.

Comment

You will see cello cords on occasion, but those are most often seen on late-war visors.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

No differences between LW and WH Schirmmütze cords .
          They follow the same evolution over the years 30-40 : Silver / Alu / Cello .
          What would be the 4th material variation ?
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
            No differences between LW and WH Schirmmütze cords .
            They follow the same evolution over the years 30-40 : Silver / Alu / Cello .
            What would be the 4th material variation ?
            Nick
            I have seen some and own one (on a Pekru) that are fairly medium to dark gray, maybe Zink. This color can also be seen in some twist and weave pipings. IMO it is not “darkened” Aluminum, but it probably was much brighter when new.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies, guys.

This is really interesting and useful information.

I hope people will keep adding to the thread, because it seems to be a subject that is rarely discussed.

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X