Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS single button M43

Hi Guys,

Please would you be so kind as to take a look at this very heavily worn cap and let me know what you think?
    The trap at least is a genuine bevo one; the button is pressed paper and strangely there are no pull down loops.

The lining is unmarked but is a ribbed rayon type material.

Perhaps an army cap with SS trap?

many thanks for your help!

Best regards

Patrick
    Attached Files

##
    Attached Files

Comment

Entirely hand made from thicker dutch wool and OFF silk lining ...
      Don't forget the POW caps made postwar from what they had available around .
      I'm sure there's no traces at all of any kind of badges on it ?
      Nick

Comment

Hi Nick

Thanks no trace of anything unless it is hidden under the trap. What is OFF lining? I’ve not heard that term before.

Many thanks

Patrick

Comment

Are you sure it is not soiled and well used Police blue-grey wool ? ( However, it could simply be how the colour of the unsoiled wool appears on my monitor ? )

They wore a lot of single button M43 caps especially on fronts like Italy.

Sometimes with pin-on metal badges rather than machine sewn insignia.

Might also explain a hand sewn SS trap being applied by a member of one of the quasi-SS-Police units, one can encounter in the fight against the Partisans in later 1944 and 1945.

Might also be an Italian made cap. The liner material is a type favored by their hat makers plus the lack of reinforcement stitch on the underside of the visor can sometimes be seen on Italian made M43 during WW2,

Chris
          Last edited by 90th Light; 06-23-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Chris

Thanks also for the reply- on the screen there is a slight polizei hue- in hand it is more green than green/blue so I think certainly army or SS wool.

Just following up on the Dutch lead from Nick I found a couple of threads that have some relevance I think.

In this one a Dutch made 2 button M43- very late war and simple construction- note again lacking pull down loops and also no stitching to underside of visor. Also the lining material is very similar.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ight=dutch+m43

And this one that shows a couple of overseas caps with specific mention that this type of wool appears to be very prone to moth attack- my cap has been quite heavily eaten in some of the concealed areas-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1007495

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
              Hi Nick

Thanks no trace of anything unless it is hidden under the trap. What is OFF lining? I’ve not heard that term before.

Many thanks

Patrick
              Officer private quality green silk lining found in jackets , Schirmmütze , Coats ...
              Locally made : when ?
              Nick

Comment

Thanks Nick, so you don't think this cap is factory made?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X