SS M40 Schiffchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen.

I currently have this cap for sale on estand and a member interested in buying it has asked me to offer it for discussion to give him reassurance before he proceeds.

Over to you.

Best regards,

Simon
    Attached Files

Comment

I like it,dont see any problems

Comment

Very fine insignia.

Ian

Comment

Nice sidecap,maybe reapplied good insignias.

Comment

Originally posted by joachim42 View Post
            Reapplied would be my feeling as well.

Comment

Just my 2 cents the insignia seems to conform to the shape of the field cap. At least for me from the images if it was reapplied it will look more stiff but who knows...... overall I like the field cap.

Rene Chavez
              www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com

Comment

Originally posted by joachim42 View Post
                I agree.

Comment

Wow from the images provided how can you tell if the insignia was re-install?

According to Gary Wilkins book on head gear 90% of the insignia was hand-applied, quite different from the other services, where machine sewing was the norm. The SS insignia was padded slightly when applied as shown on the images. Anyway I fail to see re-application of the insignia you guys must have eagle eyes.
                  Rene Chavez

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Chavez View Post
                    Wow from the images provided how can you tell if the insignia was re-install?

According to Gary Wilkins book on head gear 90% of the insignia was hand-applied, quite different from the other services, where machine sewing was the norm. The SS insignia was padded slightly when applied as shown on the images. Anyway I fail to see re-application of the insignia you guys must have eagle eyes.
                    Rene Chavez

I'm a magician.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Panzergrenadiere71 View Post
                      I'm a magician.....

You sure are, I rest my case.

Rene Chavez

Comment

Originally posted by Panzergrenadiere71 View Post
                        I'm a magician.....
                        Great response!

Sure beats being one of the clowns we have running loose around here....
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          Reapplied would be my feeling as well.
                          It is hard work finding an original SS M40 side-cap with machine applied insignia.

And the examples that do exist seem to date from later 1942 and 1943

The majority of originals have hand sewn badges especially those made in 1939/40 and 1941,

Chris

Comment

The cap itself could well be made in late 1942 or 1943. The insignia shows no wear and the cap seems almost mint condition..... so lets say for discussion purposes that the insignia was re-attached does it diminish the value considerably, if so what would be an appropriate value? Finding an overseas SS cap in any condition is hard to find imo.

Rene Chavez

Comment

There was a lot of hand applied badges on SS M40 side-caps made in 1942 and 1943 along side machine applied.

It is can be really hard to find an example with machine applied badges for sale on the market today.

On SS M43 caps, it is a bit easier to find machine applied but many SS M43 also have the separate skull and eagle applied by hand at the factory ( SS trap on an SS M43 are usually always machine applied).

In some cases a post-war reapplication by hand can be determined because one can see where the original removed badges were sewn. In other cases it can be difficult to determine and comes down to subjective judgement,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X