Feuerschutzpolizei M43 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feuerschutzpolizei M43 cap

Hi guys, what's the story with plastic piping to the edge of the sweatband in Fire police caps, I know this is a feature of post war army caps but did the fire police use plastic during the war? I've seen plenty of post war army caps with this plastic piping but the only two fire police I've seen with it have been described as war time is this correct?
    Attached Files

interior
    Attached Files

Comment

close up of plastic piping
      Attached Files

Comment

It's pretty but 9 out of 10 are post war with war time eagle added. Besides the plastic trim
        along the edges of the leather sweatband trim, the crown liner diamond removal could be
        another red flag indicator...It was probably a modern soft plastic...
        as opposed to proper war time hard celluloid...an attempt to hide its true dating...

Comment

Thanks Nick, yes I agree about the diamond being missing, the cap badge and buttons are wartime but I just can't get a definitive answer regarding the plastic piping that would really solve the problem. I asked the same question about another similar fire police cap I had about 12 years ago on the forum, but no one seemed to know for sure, so was wondering if any new information had been found. Here's the cap I posted 12 years ago with the same plastic piping this time in yellow instead of black, does the makers label on this cap help date it as war time or post war, that might be another way to date these type of caps?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Kenny

The fieldcaps are not my field of experience. Therefore I am referring only to the sartorial plate.

There's currently a Gottlob KURZ Gmbh in Wiesbaden, Hinterbergstr. 14. It was established in 1893 but was always mainly involved in medical articles. It is quite sure that they retailed scabbards for police bayonets and firemen headgears during TR period but after the war also.

Their TR label:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...necke&page=130

As you can see, a very different graphic style.

I hope this can be useful.

Best regards

Comment

I would say since there is no machine sewn eagle on hat nbr 2..you will always have a pretty cap with a questionable pedigree...JMHO Billbert
              You might see of feel the holes of the postwar metal insignia on the inside/outside

Comment

Thanks for your feedback guys, my gut feeling is the first cap could have a chance and the second cap is probably post war. Pity we could not get a definitive answer regarding the plastic piping but maybe one day that information will come to light

Comment

I believe if memory serves the only period plastic type period encountered is The celluloid clear white band found inside many kreigsmarine Donald Duck caps and maybe a few other caps..maybe Luftwaffe Meyer caps..
                  JMHO Billbert

Comment

Thanks as always Bill , if you get a spare moment could you let me know what you think about this other police cap, I can't make my mind up on it either and so far no one has commented on it.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?p=8459163

Comment

I would say the other cap is field made at best..and as GAMS said most likely a repro at worst..Billbert

Comment

Thanks Bill, my thoughts exactly, always difficult to make a call with these non textbook items

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X