Hi
    please what do you think about it?
    Many thanks

Marco
    Attached Files

A classical mid war original cap .
    Nick

Comment

Ditto’s on the aforementioned ID, nice cap.

Robt.

Comment

Hi Marco

This cap looks ok to me, original insignia etc. Only thing a little odd is the different thread used around the circumfrence of the base. Doesn't match the thread used in the constuction of the cap or to attach the insignia. Grommets look good also. Nice cap

ciao

Tim

Comment

Typical original 43 dated Mayser.
          Mark
          NZ

Comment

Thanks you my friends for your replies...
            I also saw what Tim says, the different color of the stitching around the circumfrence of the base.... Could it be a problem?
            Moreover the seller says the cap looks to have had a soutache at some point that was removed with some extra threads...
            Could a cap dated 43 ever had a soutache?

Comment

Originally posted by Zip3120 View Post
              Thanks you my friends for your replies...
              I also saw what Tim says, the different color of the stitching around the circumfrence of the base.... Could it be a problem?
              Moreover the seller says the cap looks to have had a soutache at some point that was removed with some extra threads...
              Could a cap dated 43 ever had a soutache?
              The different coloured thread around the circumference of the cap is not a problem. All that has happened is the sweatband was stitched in and the cap closed up by a different machinist on a another sewing machine.

This is typical of assembly line production where the cap moves from one machinist to the next, as each step in the sewing assembly of the cap is carried out and completed.

Interestingly, especially on 1944 and 1945 dated items, you sometimes find range of distinct thread colours used. I suppose it reflects the challenge of using what they had or could get to keep production going. Production during a war facing shortages of materials or LAGO/ Cottage industry manufacture.

I can see why the seller thinks it has had a soutache but this would be extremely unlikely for a cap dated early 1943 (no RB number = late 1942 or very early 1943). What he is seeing, looks to be a blemish in the weave of the cloth by the side of the cockade when it was made.

Overall a nice example of a second model tropical cap that every collection should at least have an example of,

Chris

Comment

It appears that the material used for the crown differs from that of the hat’s body.

A nice/appealing feature.

B, N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
                  It appears that the material used for the crown differs from that of the hat’s body.

A nice/appealing feature.

B, N. Singer
                  Good observation, agree and it does add a little something to this cap.

Nothing wrong with the tan thread around the circumfrence, as Chris mentions.
                  The insignia application and the cap used the same thread except for this feature.

Can see why the seller thinks there might have been a soutache but think that it is unlikely that it actually did.

Comment

Many thanks another time for your nice comment.
                    When I receive it I'll try to answer the question...

Comment

Hi guys
                      the cap is arrived.
                      It is very nice and in untouched condition and there are no trace of a soutache!

Ciao
                      Marco

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X