Question. SS use of km caps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question. SS use of km caps.

I’m wondering if the experienced headgear collectors would be able to answer a question I have regarding the use of km type caps by the SS. Is this accepted by collectors or dismissed as a postwar creation. Thank you in advance.

Cheers john

If you search Costal Artillery on the SS forum you will find lots of threads on this topic. The shape of the Costal Artillery caps is the same as the SS. The color of the material is different but a worn example could pass for SS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks I will take a look. I no the two caps are different with the accepted textbook SS overseas cap with the false piping and the km without but I’ve seen km caps which genuinely appear to of been period used as SS caps but also ones with post war added insignia to bump up value what I really want to no is are km caps in some cases considered period issued to the SS.

Comment

Hi John

It seems likely that it did happen, cause of cap shortages etc.
        Here is a thread that shows member Fred's KM Ritter made cap that has been converted to be used by the ss. Opinions were varied as to when the insignia was added. The insignia has been there at least 40 years+

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=972349

cheers

Tim

Comment

had a waffen ss m43 that was converted to kreigsmarine use..vet sourced with other navy and navy police items..Billbert

Comment

Thanks for the info I have searched the forum for related threads and found this is an argument that could go on and on with some in agreement that there use by the SS was accepted and Other’s believe them to be post war creations. Collectors guild has one with SS insignia described as originally hand stitched and it does look well set on the cap which has the stitching running the length of the cap rather than the false piping. I personally believe there use by the SS should be excepted in certain cases although there are those that have been made into SS caps post war in order to deceive and bump up value. It seems this is a 50/50 split in those that accept it and those that don’t. Thanks for all your help it’s much appreciated.

Cheers john.

Comment

Do you mean this cap?
              https://www.germanmilitaria.com/Waff...s/S003776.html

The lack of false piping doesn't automatically mean it's a coastal artillery cap. Actually, the style/cut of the cap and shade of feldgrau looks SS to me and not KM.

Going back to the original question however, did some caps produced for the KM end up on the heads of SS men? Sure they did, why not? and vica versa very probably.

The real question should be whether any large quantities of caps, intended for the KM, were procured by the SS, either directly from the manufacturer or from supply depots? Unfortunately there's no way to know that without some period documentation or first hand veteran testimony. Maybe evidence of that kind will surface one day, who knows...

In the meantime, trying to achieve a consensus on this subject is pointless and the only sensible thing to do is judge each cap on a case by case basis.

Comment

Hi Ben
                Yes that’s the cap and I now see exactly what you mean by the boat shape cut compared to the km. I collect SS items in general and I have a salty cap within my collection which does have the boat like shape but lacks the false piping and I’ve just been trying to find out a little more about the differences and what is accepted by the serious headgear collectors. Your post answers all my questions perfectly and I understand each cap has to be judged on the points you have mentioned. I guess there are many things we will never no Relating to who may of used what and why. Emedals has what I believe to be a coastal artillery cap for sale at the moment with added SS insignia but there description is honest and mentions the fact that the insignia has been added post war. Thanks to all for your help and advice it’s much appreciated.

Cheers
                John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X