LW Pith feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Pith feedback

I have a gentleman holding this helmet for me and I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone with a bit more knowledge on these. Does anyone see anything that shouts "red flag"? Unfortunately, these are the only pics I have available at the moment.

Much appreciated!
    Attached Files

It's very important to have good shots of the insignia, unless you don't care..

Jos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos L C View Post
      It's very important to have good shots of the insignia, unless you don't care..

Jos.
      I'm waiting for more pics. Until then I will just have to wait. Thanks

Comment

The helmet itself is a fine original from these photos.
        The insignia can not be judged accurately from these photos...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
          The helmet itself is a fine original from these photos.
          The insignia can not be judged accurately from these photos...
          I told the seller if he wants me to buy I need good photos of both insignias. I should have some pics in a few I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Spagg199th View Post
            I told the seller if he wants me to buy I need good photos of both insignias. I should have some pics in a few I hope.
            Got pics and Heer insignia was replaced with a Luftwaffe. Extra holes! Look to the left of the insignia you can see two of the three extra holes. Not for me! Thanks for the comments.
            Last edited by Spagg199th; 04-09-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for added information. What's interesting is the helmet itself is not a Herr helmet. It has a natural colored chinstrap and trim around the brim. The Herr used olive colored trim & chinstraps. This helmet may have been part of the tropenhelm horde found in the tropical depoy near Prague post war. Thousands of helmets originally for the ss or LW (without badges) were found there. Somebody souped it up with the Herr insignia postwar.

Comment

Agree the Helmet was meant for Luft primarily and possibly SS by the colors it’s fabricated in..Billbert
                ps wouldn’t that be nuts if it’s a stripped SS...

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                  Agree the Helmet was meant for Luft primarily and possibly SS by the colors it’s fabricated in..Billbert
                  ps wouldn’t that be nuts if it’s a stripped SS...
                  Have often wondered how many unbadged ss helmets were converted to either Herr or LW from the Prague tropical horde post war

The 4th ss Polizie Div exchanged their tropical kit (including unbadged tropenhelms) for grey in mid '44 at the Prague depot and thousands were found and worn by the locals such as scouts, gardeners etc. post war. These in most cases were not punched with any holes for the shields. Many have surfaced since then that have the LW/ss configuration as far as the chinstrap and trim. Makes one wonder if some collectors have actual used ss helmets but now are sporting Herr or LW insignia ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X