Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visor of General der Infanterie Otto Roettig - would you restore it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor of General der Infanterie Otto Roettig - would you restore it?

I am turning to you fellow collectors to see if there is a consensus concerning what I should do with this visor.

The history: General der Infanterie Otto Roettig was a POW at Special Camp 11 until July of 1947 where Private Henry Tallentaire of the Royal Scots got into possession of his visor. As expected, the visor is missing the eagle and chin cords.

My first impulse was to restore it back to its original configuration as Otto would probably not voluntarily have taken the insignia off. Still, there is a second owner Henry and a second history where this visor was worn in this configuration for another 2 years. What would you do?
    Attached Files
    Absolutely not!
    17.28%
    Yes of course!
    82.72%
    Last edited by Kurt; 03-27-2019, 10:59 AM.

The visor...
    Attached Files

Comment

I don't think Henry would mind if you restored it, Kurt. After all, are you going to say it was Henry's visor cap or Otto's?

Don

Comment

This is what it would look like restored...
        Attached Files

Comment

These are the two owners Otto and Henry...
          Attached Files

Comment

Generally (no pun intended) I say a restoration is moral when adding the missing pieces doesn’t further damage the piece. In this case the eagle and cord were indeed removable, meaning they wouldn’t cause damage if you wanted to add them back. I think we all can agree the eagle and cord were certainly at one point on the cap, why not put them back?

It’s a yes from me Give the cap a new life Kurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

more context...
              Attached Files

Comment

I say bring her back. Restore it.

Comment

Do not restore it, keep the cord and the aquita in aparte, so you can see it but not restore it.
                  Carlo

Comment

If a "restoration" does not involve doing anything that cannot be reversed then it would be historically acceptable as per museum restorers. You owe me two Paulaner Hefeweizen for the advice!

Comment

If it was worn for 2 years in a POW camp like that I would be inclined to keep it the way it is as I think that's a very interesting story like that on its own. Really though its up to you. Either way it goes, that is a beautiful visor!

Comment

My opinion is restore it to it's former glory; you are NOT altering it's original condition.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Either way is OK - but . . .

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          If it was worn for 2 years in a POW camp like that I would be inclined to keep it the way it is as I think that's a very interesting story like that on its own. Really though its up to you. Either way it goes, that is a beautiful visor!
                          My vote is for this, Kurt.

Comment

Kurt.. install them back on the visor.. these are the original parts taken off.. so what is wrong with you re-installing them.

Bill McClure was responsible for finding the majority of highest rank tunics etc and re sowing the insignia back on.
                            If we are honest most of this stuff has been touched by others..
                            Best Colin

Comment

Bagpuss would do a lovely job on that! Its a no-brainer,reattach the original parts.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X