LW M43 Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW M43 Cap

Showing here what I believe to be a factory-made, blue-grey wool M43 LW cap with scalloped ear flaps and two-button close at the front. One of the buttons is maker-marked "A&S" on the underside. The single-piece trapezoid patch insignia - of which the eagle, swastika and cockade circle are of a silver wire type thread (not bullion) - has been hand-stitched onto the front of the cap. The lining is of a silky-like material which has been machine-stitched into the inside, except at the front where it has been hand-stitched. The bill or peak of the cap feels like it has a cardboard liner. There are no visible maker marks or numerals on the inside lining.

I would appreciate an assessment of this cap as to period originality, please.

Thanks for looking and for eventual feedback.

Regards,

John
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Adding a few views taken under natural lighting today.
        Attached Files

Comment

This cap has a number of anomalies that suggest to me that it has been produced or at least reworked postwar. The Luftwaffe would no interest in simulating zig zag stitching around the trapezoid. The bill is unlike any typical M-43 and there appears to be no markings. I don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
            This cap has a number of anomalies that suggest to me that it has been produced or at least reworked postwar. The Luftwaffe would no interest in simulating zig zag stitching around the trapezoid. The bill is unlike any typical M-43 and there appears to be no markings. I don't like it.
            Have you ever seen a flat wire Luftwaffe trap like this ?
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
              Have you ever seen a flat wire Luftwaffe trap like this ?
              No, may be a fantasy product.

Comment

a complete fake cap for me

Comment

Originally posted by Gustav 43 View Post
                  a complete fake cap for me
                  An odd ball for sure Gustav
                  Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                  teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I don't like this M43 cap either, lots of issues. Agree with everything that's been said except for the statement that zigzag stitching is not seen on trapezoid insignia. Check out examples in the pinned section of the LW M43 caps. Both straight and zigzag.

Tony
                    Last edited by Tony; 03-27-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      I don't like this M43 cap either, lots of issues. Agree with everything that's been said except for the statement that zigzag stitching is not seen on trapezoid insignia. Check out examples in the pinned section of the LW M43 caps. Both straight and zigzag.

Tony
                      The original description indicates the trap is "hand-stitched to the front of the cap" presumably to give the appearance of factory application. I think we all agree that zig-zag stitching is common, only not by hand.

Comment

no problem

Comment

Eagle seems to be made of silvered wire I've never seen that on a M43 cap

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X