Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between M34, M38 and M40 Schiffchen Side Caps

Hello all,

I've been confused by the terminology of Heer side caps (Schiffchen) for a long time - I can't seem to get the difference between the M34 and M38 side caps. Was one model specifically for officers or enlisted men? Also, was the M40 style Schiffchen (straight "ear flaps") only for the SS and Luftwaffe? When did the soutache stop being applied?

Thank you for your help!

M34 caps are for enlisted Soldiers (will have soutache or not have them )
    M38 caps are for officers and have the pipping around the top (will have soutache or not have them)
    M40 caps are tropical caps, doesn’t matter if it’s officer or enlisted all are M40s
    M42 caps have the two buttons on the front with no bill, will have T insignia on them sometimes
    M43 caps are they typical cap you see German Soldiers wearing with the cloth Bill

Soutache were suppose to be removed in 42 if my memory serves me right, but that wasn’t always followed.

Hope that helps. Matt

Comment

A small footnote to add.... the panzer officers tropical sidecap as made by Robt. Lubstein in 1940-41 was an M34 with 2mm teardrop crown piping and 3mm scallop piping. If anyone has seen otherwise it would be of great interest.

Robt.

Comment

?

In answer to your other question the SS, LW and KM all wore a similar cap without the "sharp"scallop as seen on WH caps.

Comment

Many thanks to all for your answers!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X