Tropical sidecap insignia attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical sidecap insignia attachment

I have a question about the stitching that is attaching the eagle on this cap. Both it and the cockade are hand stitched and look original and correct to me, but some of the eagle stitching goes through the lining. Is this ok for these caps? Thanks!

Regards,
    Mike
    Attached Files

No, likely restored.

Robt.

Comment

Thank you, Robert.

Regards,
      Mike

Comment

All insignia has been reattached including the soutache.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S View Post
          I have a question about the stitching that is attaching the eagle on this cap. Both it and the cockade are hand stitched and look original and correct to me, but some of the eagle stitching goes through the lining. Is this ok for these caps? Thanks!

Regards,
          Mike
          Hello Mike,

a few hand stitches through the lining from the eagle or cockade being hand sewn on, can be OK for a LAGO tropical cap. We have seen that before on the odd example from beyond doubt sources. It is put down to the nature of LAGO manufacturing being a consortium of members, who often used cottage industry to apply the badges during the war.

I stress that this applies only to certain LAGO caps such as your tropical side-cap,

Chris

p.s. is the soutache machine sewn on ? Could you please show the reverse side of the soutache application.

Comment

The amateur application.... a whipstitch used on this cap indicates it was most likely a restored piece. The Lago consortium was comprised of professionals who would not have applied an eagle in that method. Eagles are sewn to the cap body before the final assembly and therefore the stitches would not penetrate thru to the lining.

Robt.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far. I’ll post more photos as the light improves this morning.

Comment

Here are a couple more shots, one straight on of the soutache, which is machine sewn, and the area behind it. The soutache stitching is on the left as you view it. the end of it is visible in the shot. Thanks again to all who responded.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mike for the added photos. The soutache does look much better as it appeared possibly hand stitched in the first photos. Also the stitch loops that attach the false front appeared to be missing, not a good sign usually. But now with the added photo can see one still there and the other remains may just may be there also ?

Comment

Thanks, Tim. There is the single stitch visible at the apex of the soutache, plus one on either side of that one that is just below the edge of the false front. I could take a photo if you want.

Comment

Here's what it looks like. Not the greatest shot but you get the idea. There is another stitch on the other side. If I had to guess I would say that all 3 are the same thread.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Every thing is correct for a tropical side-cap made by this LAGO and it has not been messed with.

The eagle hand applied with a few stitches through the lining is correct

The soutache machine stitched on is correct

The top flap is held up by only a single retaining loop in the center of the seam, correct
                        If you look at any other tropical side-cap by this particular LAGO. They only ever have one retaining loop, if unaltered as they left the factory.

Here are some images of my example by this maker. As you can see it is exactly the same as the thread starter except for the colour of the soutache

Chris

interesting to note that my cap is number "3" of this LAGO and the thread starter cap is "10" or "16" ?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 90th Light; 01-25-2019, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Reverse machine stitching of the soutache

And here is another cap by this maker; https://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=5555

Again you can see the machined soutache and single retaining loop,

Chris

p.s. it would be interesting to see if the hand applied eagle on the Virtual Grenadier example has a few stitches through the lining or not ?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Chris,
                            Thanks so much for the detailed photos and explanation of these caps, just what I was looking for.
                            Thanks also to everyone who took the time to weigh in on this.

Regards,
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S View Post
                              Chris,
                              Thanks so much for the detailed photos and explanation of these caps, just what I was looking for.
                              Thanks also to everyone who took the time to weigh in on this.

Regards,
                              Mike
                              My pleasure Mike,

LAGO seem to do that on some of their caps. We put it down to cottage industry hand application of the eagles.

Also there are more examples of LAGO tropical sidecaps on Virtual Grenadier with white and green soutache. The top flap held up by the single loop retaining stitch. You could ask Mike Davis if any of them also have the eagles hand sewn through the lining.

Best regards,

Chris
                              Last edited by 90th Light; 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X