Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery NCO Visor Help

Hello everyone,

Headgear other than helmets aren't my forte so I'm requesting a little help here. Two things kind of pop out at me that make me cautious about this piece but please, resident experts, let me know what exactly this is!

Many thanks,
    Matt

Also - I've requested better photos so if they are requested, they should be coming.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny W; 02-14-2020, 12:41 PM. Reason: Outside image hosting

There's obviously a section of side lining missing which is peculiar plus someone has re-sewn it but not very well. The pasteboard material doesn't look authentic to me and the sweatband sewing is also suspect.
    In other words, it's been monkeyed with IMO and I would pass.

Comment

I dont like
      Carlo

Comment

This wouldn't be one for me - these are plentiful, so I would just wait for a nice original to pop up.

Don

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Final question though after reading through everything, is this an authentic visor? Even though whatever has happened with the lining is suspect, is this a period authentic visor?

Comment

I just need to know, because the price is unbelievably good (if the visor is real) and it will just be sitting on display as an addition to a larger more important centerpiece. (that is why I'm not entirely concerned with the insides, because outside it presents so well and matches well what I want it to go in numerous ways).

So is the consensus that this is a real visor (albeit potentially tampered with, and internally messed up) but an original period piece overall?

Thanks again

Comment

If the price is unbelievable and nobody has snapped it up, I think that will tell you something right there. I for one do not believe it is a period original.

Don

Comment

DonC, can you tell me what makes you believe it is not a period original?

Comment

Originally posted by mapjew View Post
                  DonC, can you tell me what makes you believe it is not a period original?
                  BenVK laid out some details. I agree that I don't like the sweatband sewing and the pasteboard looks suspect. I'll raise him one: It appears the crown piping thickness is inconsistent based on a couple of the photos.

If the price is too good to be true...

Comment

Forget anything I said about price - this isnt going to be a top shelf item, just an addition to a mannequin that I would rather not go all out on (price wise) considering I don't care much for visors. I just wanted the overall base item to be authentic, rather than have an entirely fake item as a part of the mannequin. So I guess it is not real?

Comment

My advice would be to forget about this one no matter what the price is.
                      There are and will be plenty more Arty visors to choose from.

Comment

BenVK, thank you for the advice. But just so I know, as I am learning, is this a real period piece??

Comment

IMO yes it is but like I said before, it's been messed with.

Comment

Thanks BenVK, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the info and the advice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X