• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Visor Trim Question

On KM visors, I have no problem with oilcloth trim, such as this:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

However, when I see NON-oilcloth trim, I get suspicious--anyone else share my concerns?:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Other side of the above 2 visors.
      (The one with cello insignia is a no-questions asked Erel)
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

In general when I see the "plastic" looking trim on LW or KM, I get a little queasy, to quote James Comey.

Don

Comment

No I had several KM bills with both variants. All okay with bouth caps.

Comment

Stone, can you post the rest of the lid with the plastic trim (i know it is not really plastic)

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
              Stone, can you post the rest of the lid with the plastic trim (i know it is not really plastic)

Don

Here you go. The underside of the visor is definitely oilcloth, but the visor trim and oakleaves gap always concern me:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I run whenever I see plastic edging despite what some may think.

Comment

Not really plastic but celluloid which is ok for me ...
                  I already had some KM or LW .
                  Nick

Comment

When one considers the very plastic looking stiffener band in some KM EM caps it makes the plastic look on visors not so bad, but I prefer oilcloth.

Comment

Here is another oddity of the "plastic" trimmed visor--the band seam is on the side of the hat:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

KM Schirmmützen are non my main interest but I have no problem with the vinylic (that looks plastic) trim on LW caps.....so I think they can be considered original on KM visor caps....
                        You can easily see them on period LW portraits....but I didn't ever make a deep research on period KM portraits......
                        Regards
                        Giorgio
                        Bordo telato = oilcloth trim
                        Bordo vinile = Vinylic trim
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                          Here is another oddity of the "plastic" trimmed visor--the band seam is on the side of the hat:
                          Yes, I've had that before, and while sometimes disconcerting, its not always a deal breaker as long as the rest of the planets are aligned. And to those that think plastic KM trim is ok??? Better do your research ..'cause it's not!!!!

Comment

Those are nice photos posted by Giorgio. Don't know if this means anything at all, but found this "vinyl history" on the internet:

"In 1913, German inventor Friedrich Heinrich August Klatte took out a patent on PVC. His method used polymerization of vinyl chloride with sunlight.
                            The most significant breakthrough occurred in the United States when the company BFGoodrich hired the industrial scientist Waldo Semon to develop a synthetic replacement for the increasingly costly natural rubber. His experiments again produced polyvinyl chloride. However, the material was threatened by the recession in the 1920s and it was under threat of abandonment that Semon conceived the idea of PVC as a water resistant coating for fabrics. Sales took off quickly with a rapidly expanding product range. Demand accelerated again during the Second World War, when PVC quickly replaced traditional material to insulate wiring on military ships."

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just at the office, cut of a small piece of the bill, the "plastic" part, the white inner gauze and the black backside and burnt it, all are non synthetic and burns to ashes.

If anyone have any doubt, we can cut of another small piece tomorrow and film the whole process and put it online.

The bill is 100%, the material is quite soft but burns to Ashes and no lump, so we have no doubt it is a wartime made bill.

Cheers
                              Peter
                              www.military-antiques-stockholm.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X