Attached Files

No idea on hat but eagle and skull are fake

Comment

Originally posted by wolfslair44 View Post
      Any chance?
      Possibly..

Got any better pics?

Comment

I agree, the eagle and skull are well known reproductions. Can't comment on the hat, sorry.

Chris

Comment

The cap body looks like it could be a good one. Most of these gabardine types are not crushers, though - the bill could be an add-on for a missing visor. What's the cap band material look like?

s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
            The cap body looks like it could be a good one. Most of these gabardine types are not crushers, though - the bill could be an add-on for a missing visor. What's the cap band material look like?

s/f Robert
            Chris and Robert,

Thanks for the responses. I am hopeful to have more pics tomorrow.

Comment

Gents,

Was able to get some more pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
                Attached Files

Comment

Velvet black centre band has been re - sewn on, and Ill fitting too. Not a good sign.
                  Be very cautious. Me thinks Not good.

Comment

Thanks for posting the additional photos. The grey sweatband and grey liner material with just the size marking look fine for a standard gabardine visor. Not sure this is a true crusher from the pictures, though.

Most of these caps seem to have been pinched like a crusher, but are just formed like one - they are standard caps with the cardboard material in the band.

The wrinkled "soft" looking velvet band may indicate a softer material under the velvet - it should be a burlap or tighter woven material. If the bill is original to the cap and band material is stiff, than it's a great looking cap that needs insignia, but is not a crusher.

The seller needs to flip the sweatband up, and also check for extra stitch holes/thread along the base of the piping and bill.

s/f Robert

Comment

Thanks gents. Any other comments welcome.

Comment

Per request, another photo. From the seller, 'later war cap, the peak and liner are both original to the cap and have not been re-sewn. It has the normal grey leather sweatband. There is the correct black velvet band but no stiffener in the band as it wouldn't crush if it had a stiffener.'
                        Attached Files

Comment

It may be the pictures, but the stitches holding the liner to the cap body look very fresh and tight. I would expect to see some of those threads a little looser, especially on a crusher - it is almost like someone is trying to hide the cap band stiffener.

Which we still can't see - again, suspiciously tight.

s/f Robert

Comment

Will try and get photos of inside by the bill. Thanks!

Comment

You’d asked for a comment but this aspect is sadly out of my league..so I will refrain from comment..Sorry I can’t help..Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X