The "Mouse Hat"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Mouse Hat"

So . . . some time ago, I promised to reveal the mystery behind why this cap was bestowed the title, "The Mouse Hat". It has been told to me, that Bob Hritz turned this one up, long ago - and I assume that is where the title may have originated. The cap was once shown here, in another topic I started - where Bob was also kind enough to comment about it:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...edical+officer

As promised, here are some new photos - that hopefully, will finally bring the mystery to an end . . .
    Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 05-06-2018, 04:24 PM. Reason: Grammar/Spelling

One of the unique features to this cap, is the addition of a custom band . . . one that actually covers the velvet.
    My take on this, is whomever wore the cap - really wanted to protect that velvet underneath . . .
    If you look closely in a couple of the photos, the velvet cloth can be seen - barely peeking though.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here you can see the way the band was attached - at the rear of the cap . . .
      Attached Files

Comment

One other unique feature to the cap - is the additional stitching placed into the chin-cord - perhaps meant to hold it in place, and keep it from self-adjusting?
        Attached Files

Comment

And now . . . the mystery revealed!

If you hadn't noticed already in one of the earlier photos, there is an entry-hole [or maybe an exit-hole?] at the crown of the cap - where some little critter dug away at the thing. This happened long before I got it - and maybe Bob will see this topic some day, and let us all know what he recalls about this specimen?
          Attached Files

Comment

The work that critter performed - can be seen, magnified on the inside.
            Attached Files

Comment

So that's it - the mystery behind how the title, "The Mouse Hat" - may have been bestowed upon this cap, has finally been revealed.

Hope you enjoyed!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 05-06-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The addition of the band cover is a really interesting feature. Is it elasticated?

Not sure I buy the theory that it was put there to protect the velvet from damage.
                I wonder if perhaps the original owner was an Officer candidate and therefore not strictly allowed to have a velvet band on his service cap. We will never know for sure but it's fun to speculate!

Pity about the rodent damage but I guess it could have been a lot worse..

If only my cat Jazzy had been around at the time.
                He's a mouse mass murderer!
                Attached Files

Comment

It was a pitty for the mouse ,incredil cap
                  Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                    The addition of the band cover is a really interesting feature. Is it elasticated?

Not sure I buy the theory that it was put there to protect the velvet from damage.
                    I wonder if perhaps the original owner was an Officer candidate and therefore not strictly allowed to have a velvet band on his service cap. We will never know for sure but it's fun to speculate!

Pity about the rodent damage but I guess it could have been a lot worse..

If only my cat Jazzy had been around at the time.
                    He's a mouse mass murderer!
                    Yeah - the material is "elastic", or "expandable" - to some degree. Like you say, who knows why it's there?

You're right again, Ben - if only Jazzy had been on duty that day!

Comment

My take on this, is whomever wore the cap - really wanted to protect that velvet underneath . . .

Protect the velvet underneath?

For what reason, in case his ole lady wanted to make thong out of it later?

Last edited by JR.; 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Everyone tells me you tripped the Pond . . .

Originally posted by JR. View Post

Protect the velvet underneath?

For what reason, in case his ole lady wanted to make thong out of it later?

JR - Next time you see Bob Hritz . . . ask him about it.

He has this cap in hand - and could teach you a thing or two, I'm sure.
                        Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 01-26-2019, 11:36 PM. Reason: Because JR likes to edit his posts - just thought I might make it look like I did too. :-)

Comment

To Mauschwitz you are condemned 👎

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X