Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artillery nco hat for sale opinions please !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery nco hat for sale opinions please !

Dear Members,

I was offered this hat and wanted your opinions ?

Any idea of what a decent buying price would be ?

Thanks guys as always for your valuable comments !

Cheers Steven.

German World War II Army enlisted visor cap with red piping representing the artillery branch. Cap has the maker’s emblem of 3 oak leaves, as well as the size stamping of “55” inside the cap on the head shield. Cap has a full gray leatherette sweatband with a gray head liner. Enlisted chinstrap is also present with painted steel buckles. Cap eagle and wreath are correct and original, and made from stamped metal with prong attachment. Original Panzer skull has been attached for an unknown reason. Cap is made from field gray wool with red wool piping. Original insignia appears to have been added postwar. A 4” piece of the headliner is detached from the cap up front. Visor has a number of moth holes, especially on the rear near the piping. The wool is also damaged on the rear between the sweatband and the cap band. Condition: (Fair - Good).Dimensions:
    Attached Files

Inside.

A GOOD ONE ?

Cheers Steven.
    Attached Files

Comment

The cap looks good. The skull looks good too, but I doubt it's been on there since day one. The problem is, do you remove it or leave it on there? Either way might be a mistake.

In this condition, I'd say $300.

Comment

Skull looks to have been jammed in there post-war, plus that skull should only be on a Kavallerie-piped cap, so it is completely bogus, IMO. If they are asking a premium for it, I would run away.

Don

Comment

Original Panzer skull has been attached for an unknown reason. Original insignia appears to have been added postwar.

Says it all . The cap is in pretty crappy condition, why do you want this one? There are loads of Artillery caps out there . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Dear Members,

THANK YOU for all your comments !

The hat finally sold for $608.00 , too much as far is I am concerned.

Regards Steven.

Final prices include buyers premium:$608.00
            Estimate:$200 - $250
            Number Bids:14

Comment

Could this skull have meant the visor belonged to a sturm artillerie soldier by any chance? or is that a hard no.

Comment

You usually can't give away Artillery visors but now everyone wants one?
                It's a crazy hobby!

Comment

An unknown but period maker (post no. 1013):

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...205197&page=68

It reminds me the Deutsche Wertarbeit Extraklasse G.K.M. 1903 style, but only a footstep and no real evidence about.

For the rest I confirm you what the others friends have already said.

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by jimjim91607 View Post

The hat finally sold for $608.00 , too much as far is I am concerned.

Regards Steven.
                    I agree. You should be able to find a nicer one for less.

Comment

Originally posted by mapjew View Post
                      Could this skull have meant the visor belonged to a sturm artillerie soldier by any chance? or is that a hard no.
                      Chance, as in possible? Yes. Probable? No.

I've seen more inventive use of insignia in period photographs than this, so never say never. But without provenance I would attach no added value in this case. Probably the case of someone taking a cap with condition liabilities and trying to spruce it up by sticking a Totenkopf on it.

Kavallerie Regiment 5 wore a Totenkopf, but they were authorized. And of course, it would be on a cav-piped cap.

Comment

Im aware of Kav Rgt5 but their totenkopf was much different, it wasnt the totenkopf that belonged on the collar tabs of wrappers. But thanks for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by mapjew View Post
                          Im aware of Kav Rgt5 but their totenkopf was much different, it wasnt the totenkopf that belonged on the collar tabs of wrappers. But thanks for the input!
                          I didn't say they were identical, but while we are on the subject...
                          The KR 5 Totenkopf is a little smaller, but actually pretty similar to a Panzer model. Again, not identical, but I wouldn't say "much different" like as in an SS or a Brunswick. (I have a pair of KR 5 officer boards).
                          Last edited by TWS; 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
                            You usually can't give away Artillery visors but now everyone wants one?
                            It's a crazy hobby!
                            I used to have over 20 in my original collection, couldn't leave the red alone.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X