Tropical M40 #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical M40 #2

I was looking at POSSIBLY buying on of the three hats that I am going to show you.
    I would like a nice tropical hat but haven't the knowledge that other people have, so I have to pick your brains.
    Here are pictures of an tropical Panzer Grenadier M40. I am hoping that I have enough pictures that someone can give a reasonable opinion as to it's originality.
    So, here we go!
    Thanking all in advance.
    Tim
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hope I'm on the right cap (the one with the green soutache). This is new maker to me, always an alarm bell, and I don't like what I can see of the eyelet (it looks aluminium), but as Tim says, you really need clearer photos of these. The eagle application is rare on authentic caps and the soutache is odd, though I can't explain why.
            Mike

Comment

I think a LAGO variant stamp. It pushes most if not all the good buttons as to being original. Fabric, grommets, cut, sewing.... all look very affirming. Just my 2 cents.

Robt.

Comment

Grommets I would expect to see enamel paint for 41 unissued cap, they also look to been artificially aged. Certainly need better pics , but do not look promising

The late 42/43 cap cockade on a 41 dated cap is another red flag

Not a cap I would want to blow several thousands of dollars

Mark S

Comment

Only thing that bothers me on this cap are the grommets from the inside which i can't really tell anything from these photos. It's possible they are inverted which would be fine. No problem not to have enamel on the outside of them. Also the cockade time line is much earler than first thought years ago...Have seen more and more early caps with mid-year cockades etc.

But agree need more pics of the inside of the grommets before going to the hoop on this one.

& Robt. good to see you posting again

Comment

A black pz side cap was posted recently on GHW with this makers stamp in it. Hersteller number was 20 and the size and date fonts were considerably different. Rock solid vet bb provenance posted by vets son along with another sidecap. My gut vibe on this L.L. Gen Mutzen Niedersachsen cap is that its a good example.

Robt.

Comment

Good additional info Robt.

After seeing the grommets again from the inside think this one has a chance afterall.
                      This thread Tropical M40 #3 post #14 upper pic has this caps view of the inside of the grommets.
                      A "hands on" would help with this one.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=935588

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

OK, probably not aluminium, but nasty mashed examples. On the basis of these I would not wish to pronounce one way or another. But its funny how so many questionable caps have mangled eyelets.
                          M

Comment

Thanx for the input.
                            I believe, on the basis of same, that I will take a pass on all three of these!!
                            Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X