Infantry Officer's Schirmütze Opinons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infantry Officer's Schirmütze Opinons

Have had this cap for about 45 years. No maker inside that I could find, and has some mothing around band. It came out of a small antique shop in Germany. One of the side cord buttons is missing. Any comments/opinions as to originality would be most appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Edward; 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Larger photos would be better but it's authentic IMO.

Actually it's quite an interesting one despite the poor/average condition. The cap itself is nothing special but yet it has embroidered insignia. Bear in mind that hand embroidery cost the same, if not more than the hat itself during the period and then maybe you can understand what I'm talking about.

These days, little importance or value is placed upon "bullion insignia" which is crazy really but that's a discussion for another day.

Just last week, I sold a mint embridered wreath and kokarde for £30. A really stupid cheap price compared to a EK or another medal just stamped out of alloy.
      Last edited by BenVK; 07-21-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I don't like the lining

Comment

Interesting page concerning how much they got paid.

From what I can gather, this guy "received food, soap and 10 Reichsmark between March and April of 1944"

https://www.quora.com/How-was-the-We...id-during-WWII

Comment

Originally posted by jmcm View Post
            I don't like the lining
            Outstanding critique!
            Last edited by BenVK; 07-21-2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much for the inputs guys.

Have enclosed larger photos from different angles. The insignia appears to have been sewn on first then the lining sewn in. The sweatband reminds me of the type seen used on enlisted caps. Any comments most appreciated. Not that it has any great bearing on whether the cap is original or not, but the shop owner would get militaria from house cleaning pickers, and local residents who would bring stuff in.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Edward; 07-21-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Pic on left inside front. Right pic inside back.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Edward; 07-21-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Halle Ed

In my humble opinion, the visor's body is original, but I see some traces (perhaps the dull glue of an incorrect and partial restoration carried out from the previous owners in good faith many years ago?) under the left wing of the eagle and near the lower left side of the oak leaves. If so, it would be also useful, in order to avoid any doubt, to check for any holes of previous metal-embroidered-mixed insignia under the current ones.

Best regards

Comment

Thank you for the information enorepap. I did check closely around the eagle and wreath with a magnifying glass and light. Dark green threads that sew down the eagle and wreath are still present. I was able to carefully lift 2 areas of the wreath. It is apparently sewn down at certain points. No glue remains could be found under those areas examined. Imho, a complete removal of the wreath could risk damaging the wreath and cap band as it is well anchored.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X