Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hat lining for discussion

Hello,

I posted this cap lining on the e-stand and it was suggested by a respected member that it be posted for discussion.

All I know about it is that it was in an envelope of early police uniform cloth scraps and a collar from a police overcoat. I bought the scraps 20 years or so ago to use to patch a damaged tunic and this cloth lining was thrown in a box until discover a few days ago.

I do not pretend to know any of the finer points of cap construction.

I am a police insignia collector, that is all.

I assume that the issue is the IDEAL, not EXTRA label (I made a mistake when I posted this).

It is almost impossible to get a photo of the logo without tearing off the sweat shield.

The rusted grommet holes are consistent with an early police or civil visor which almost always had ventilation holes.

That is all I have to add to the discussion.

I will be happy to dispose of this if those of you who know what you are talking about find it to be bad.

Thank you,
    William Unland
    Attached Files

I put this under some UV filters to make the logo more visable;

Like I said I know nothing and it wont hurt my feelings one way or the other how this comes out.
    Attached Files

Comment

I asked Bill to post this for discussion. From the photos it looks like the sweat diamond is the thick, slightly opaque "plasticky" sort found on the "Latvian Special" repros from the 1980's - 1990's. In my experience, the size stamp of 58 is also indicative of the Latvian jobs. As I told Bill, I could be wrong, but I wanted to see what some of our visor experts thought.

Don

Comment

Bill, I am sorry to say that Don is correct--the lining is from a Latvian fake.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

"Ideal" was a legitimate Erel model. When I was young and dumb, I got burned on one of these that was allegedly a HG Regiment visor in the Wild Wild West days of eBay, so I have always kept my eye out for these. They always have that type of sweat diamond and I have never seen one without the inked "58" size stamping. Most if not all of them of them have the "twisted under" piping joining in the back. These were all over eBay and ePier back in the day, and they still pop up once in a while.

Don

Comment

Thanks.....it's in the trash!

Bill U

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
              "Ideal" was a legitimate Erel model. When I was young and dumb, I got burned on one of these that was allegedly a HG Regiment visor in the Wild Wild West days of eBay, so I have always kept my eye out for these. They always have that type of sweat diamond and I have never seen one without the inked "58" size stamping. Most if not all of them of them have the "twisted under" piping joining in the back. These were all over eBay and ePier back in the day, and they still pop up once in a while.

Don

After you called my attention to it, the sweat shield is indeed unusually thick and opaque. I think that it is still cellloid but not the thin brittle ( after 60 years) type seen in good caps

Thanks again, just goes to show the fakes have been around a while.

Bill U

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X