Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Nice cap, Ben.

Even if they are "run-o-the-mill" and/or "Service-Duty" - I still think the Kleiderkasse visors for SS Officer were some of the best looking caps made.
    Looks good from about 5 feet away..

In terms of quality and workmanship, it's pretty poor to be honest even for a Kleiderkasse cap but then again, it's a perfect snapshot of the era and the whole Kleiderkasse system. Contrary to belief, not every SS Officer had the opportunity to walk into an SS clothing store and pick and choose, they had to mail order their uniforms. It's on record that delays and disappointments were numerous so when Renz got this cap, spots on the visor and poor stitching included, what's he going to do? complain and send it back? Not likely..

Likewise, I believe the miss match in insignia (zink eagle and aluminium skull) to be the original items. Had I posted the Deschler Skull on it's own on the SS forum, it would have generated a lot of salivating and desire. The eagle not so much.

Who was it that persuaded all the rest of us that these things are worth so much and in which order? It's like the faceless people involved in the money markets and stock exchanges that have convinced the rest of the world that bits of paper and the numbers on a computer screen are worth tens of millions. A $1000 for an SS visor cap skull on it's own? $2000 for an aluminium one? ridiculous!
    Last edited by BenVK; 12-28-2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't want this to turn into a rant about prices and valuations.

I created this tribute to Manfred Renz, a warrior of the Wiking Division.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post
        Looks good from about 5 feet away..

In terms of quality and workmanship, it's pretty poor to be honest even for a Kleiderkasse cap but then again, it's a perfect snapshot of the era and the whole Kleiderkasse system.
        Ha! Ha! Ha!

I bet to the un-trained ear, guy's like us gotta' sound like a bunch of "Cap Snobs", talking like we do . . .

Comment

Outstanding forensics on the vulcanfibre bill of this visor! I am convinced. This cap survived in this condition
          as it was his "Best dress" (home leave) uniform cap. I the field he wore pink piped (converted Heer?) beat up crusher caps,
          a much better choice with his Pz headsets!

Comment

Great score, Ben (probably the most historical one I have seen this year).
            Let's hope 2017 is just as good to you!
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Congrats and thanks for making this cap TALK..What was Dr Renzs fate ???Billbert

Comment

Congrats on that fabulous find and nice detective work!
                Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Some good points being made in the thread. IMO the Kleiderkasse typically offered caps and other items at different qualities and price points....it least to some extent. I also believe that there were certain standards that contractors had to comply with in order to deliver to them and do business with them.

As for certain aspects of quality and insignia materials, I agree that to most every officer, NCO or soldier, these details were and are a complete blank stare!! Even if they ever half looked at their own insignia most of the painted zink looked about as good at the aluminum or cuppal insignia the first couple of years it was in use.

Most everything that the so-called collector community values now in these areas meant nothing then, conversely many things that were of importance then with uniforms and equipment are lost on collectors now.

Comment

Hi Ben

Really nice cap with its history. Condition and features also an added plus.

a Panther Recon Platoon is a pretty serious recon. Thats not just to locate & spot targets, but to drive the enemy out of positions with the near invincible Panthers (with the front armor) with other recon elements out in front of the Panthers to locate targets. The Germans were much more advanced than the Allies when it came to recon. With some heavy firepower attached to the recon units while the Allied recon was much more used in the traditional way, to snoop and scoot.

Happy New Years
                    Tim

Comment

Congrats Ben and Happy NewYear

Comment

Another good hunt Ben. You sure have the midas touch. You know what to do with it when you are tired of it. J

Comment

Superb cap and those are fantastic insignia ... spot or no spot

Congratulations, Ian.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that one! Great info too.

Comment

Ben,

It's always nice to hear about the unforgotten souls who fought in this war. Congrats on an epic addition to your collection.

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                                Congrats and thanks for making this cap TALK..What was Dr Renzs fate ???Billbert
                                This is what I've found. Taken from here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...68482&start=30

SS-Obersturmführer
                                Dr. Manfred Renz
                                Born: 28.7.1920
                                Died: 6.6.1987
                                Service:
                                Joined the SS in 1.10.1939
                                SS-A.A. VT
                                SS-Junkerschule Tölz
                                Zugfhr. Aufklärungszug/II./SS-Pz.Rgt.5 "Wiking"
                                OO./SS-Pz.Rgt.5
                                Adjutant./SS-P.Rgt.5
                                Chef 8./SS-Pz.Rgt.5 (For a short time)
                                Lived in Heilbronn when he died.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 35 users online. 0 members and 35 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X