No announcement yet.

Knautschmütze SS Artillery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A typical case of: the buyer is happy with the item and that is all that matters. No matter if it's a fake, exposed by the experts, or like in this case a Frankenstein exposed by the experts. No, the buyer doesn't take in any other opinions apart from it being real and untouched. So let the buyer be happy with this (Frankenstein) cap

Comment

Boys...
      Looks like no one reads what I wrote...
      I'm not happy with it.
      I only wanted to know what it could be, because I'm sure that it is original old... I was not sure if it is an original military item.
      Anyway... I also posted it on a german forum and there was one guy who what a professional look over it.
      He looked over the pictures I made and was able to give me the solution:
      Please look at the ink stamp on the leather. It says "costumeir" what is french and dutch and means what it also means in english: a theatrical costumier.

So: This was all I wanted to know: If it is not a Military piece, what else could it be because I was sure that this one couldn't be a faked wehrmacht cap.

I'm a bit... bugged because no one here was able to give me a factual statement about my followed underlying question.

I never gave the statement that this is a real SS cap in my opinion... never!
      I only wanted to know what else it could be.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

Comment

i think here we have the tipical situation, where experts do not accept anything else as something real but untouched textbook examples.

It could be anything - like for me its a real cap with added black band to look like SS: When it does have stamps from theatre, obviously it was used in there.

More, not rare to see a man promoted from WH to the SS: Then we have the situation with originally applied SS insignia on a tunic with WH cut and breast eagle shadow.

Same happened to the caps - most people just added black band to their WH caps and changed the insignia.

So in the end

No, not an SS cap. And was the black band added during the war, i think nobody can be 100% sure.

Comment

I won't comment on the cap shown in this topic, but I think that the term "Frankenstein" isn't a good one to use in certain cases. I mean, it is a fact that during the war visor caps were rebanded as well: making officer's caps of NCO caps or making SS caps of Heer caps... Applying the term "Frankenstein" to those wartime-adapted piece isn't totally correct, as to us all the term "Frankenstein" has a post-war connotation attached to it.

I have a "Frankenstein" of which I am 100% sure that it was changed during the war... I won't refer to it as a "Frankenstein" though.

Kind regards,
          Gerd V

Comment

Originally posted by willysproject View Post

I have a "Frankenstein" of which I am 100% sure that it was changed during the war... I won't refer to it as a "Frankenstein" though.

Kind regards,
            Gerd V
            Hey Gerd - I hope we will one day get to see that cap . . . I would find it very interesting!

Comment

Whatever it is, it is currently on eBay Germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dachbodenfund...cAAOSwZQRYe8LJ

Best regards

Comment

It was sold before in a German Forum... i think for 200 Euro

Br

Comment

I have seen several of these caps over the years, one I recall had a fake trimmed bullion Totenkopf (tab) sewn to the band, another a BeVo Heer wreath (which was too large for the band). The cap(s) are neither SS or Heer imo but perhaps some Weimar or Imperial era cap, perhaps even some civil organization. I think it is likely that this one is unaltered but it's construction lends itself to mischief.

Comment

Ww 1

If you apply a Reichs cockade and a Prussian cockade to the front you will have an officer's field cap from WW 1 for artillery or technical troops. No real mystery.

Comment

I sold it to a guy who wanted to buy it in a german forum, that's correct.

Whatever he does with it on eBay now... I have no influence to that.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Gesendet von meinem SM-A510F mit Tapatalk

Comment

Imperial cap, imo, These hats were worn by "technical troops" which consisted of the following: Artillerie (Artillery), Pioniere (Engineers) and Verkehrstruppen (Transportation Troops). These included all Eisenbahn (Railway), Telegraphen (Telegraph), Flieger (Flying), Luftschiffer (Balloon and Zeppelin).
                        NCOs had wool bands, and officers velvet:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X