Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting M43- private purchase?

Hi Guys

I wanted to show this rather interesting cap that just arrived- appears to be tailor or unit made out of a canvas type material- reminds me very strongly of the caps shown in this thread

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=m43

It is well used and faded and the application of the insignia in this form is not something I have seen previously.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

It has the right look and I like it.

Is the insignia sewn through the lining or not??

Comment

Thanks Guys, no the insignia is not sewn through- no sign of stitching on the interior.

The front buttons I think have been replaced as they are sewn on with different colour and newer looking thread- they are also one piece cast zinc which is not something I have seen before that I recall.

Comment

Hi Patrick,
              I like your field cap very much and in my opinion, it appears to be an original field made type cap.
              Thank you,
              Curtiss

Comment

Thank you Curtiss

In hand it really does look and feel right- here are a couple of pics of the oddball buttons- any one seen this type previously?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
                  Hi Patrick,
                  I like your field cap very much and in my opinion, it appears to be an original field made type cap.
                  Thank you,
                  Curtiss

I like it too but if field made then why the size stamp?

Glenn
                  "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I remember reading a previous discussion here about size stamps in field made caps. I don't remember who it was but someone made a good point that a company tailor(s) would probably be required to make dozens or more fieldcaps in one go and in different sizes (obviously). It would make sense to me that they would want to mark the size in some way especially considering how fastidious the Germans were/are as a whole. Also, look at the size of the sewing machine this company tailor transported around! a set of numerical ink stamps would fit in your pocket so no big deal.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Something else has just occurred to me.

There were no felt tip pens/magic markers back then. You either used an ink stamp or a fountain/dip pen or a stencil.

Anyone tried writing their name on a pair of jeans using a fountain pen?
                      It's works ok on leather which is why you often see names written on the back of sweatbands and in some cases on rayon linings because that's very smooth but on cotton it's a pain, the nib keeps catching the threads and the ink bleeds all over the place.
                      Last edited by BenVK; 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Let's Call it Theatre Made with the size stamp...note also the insignia is TWO piece expertly butted together....BILLBERT

Comment

[QUOTE=Glenn McInnes;7571783]I like it too but if field made then why the size stamp?

May be they made not only one but more , like for a company ?
                          I like this cap , no problem for me ...
                          Nick

Comment

cap

Too many questions about the cap for me. No signs of a forehead leaving a stain? Size marking? Very thin thread used? Bizarre buttons? It would not take too long to make this one up and leave it in the sun to fade a couple of months. Carry a set of size stamps? Half sizes included? C'mon...

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                              Carry a set of size stamps? Half sizes included? C'mon...
                              Why not and who's to say that they are all field/theatre made anyway? It's just another old gun show myth that seems to have stuck for far too long.

You only have to study the RZM lists of muetzenmachers to realise the war effort incorporated the whole of the German population, from big firms to individual artisans working in their homes on a single sewing machine. And those were just the ones who actually got RZM approval and recognition. Imagine the tens of thousands who worked for the Wehrmacht instead which we have no record of!?

I was hoping we had reached a point now in the academic study of this area where we could look at these things from a more enlightened viewpoint but it seems I was wrong.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X