Color differences in Heer visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color differences in Heer visors

I have noticed the differences in the color of the visor tops in Heer visors. The vast majority is in Feldgrau or variances there of, but you also get the light gray (ss gray).

Now the question, I have noticed that he light gray is very prevalent among General uniforms and caps. Any one else noticed that and was there a more official explanation for the wear of the light gray amongst General staff officers?
    Attached Files

I too always thought so, Jacques . . . almost all of the Vet/GS caps I recall, appear to be grey in color - when compared to most other branches of service. Perhaps there is something to it? For further comparison, here are some clips of a Panzer cap - where a Vet/GS can be seen to it's left-hand side . . . and a few pics of a Vet/GS cap alone . . .
    Attached Files

Comment

Love that first cap!

Comment

It's an interesting subject but I can't say that I've noticed any particular trend towards a particular branch of the Heer.

The huge variety of shades of Feldgrau is mind boggling to us collectors in the modern age. In reality and back in the day, I really don't think they gave it much thought actually. Rather, they used the stock of fabrics they had as and when the orders came in regardless of waffenfarbe.

More interesting is the choice of different fabrics used for the cap cover and lower part below the bottom ring of piping which is fairly typical. I've always been fascinated why they choose a different fabric and usually in a totally different shade of feldgrau for this. At first I thought it must be to utilise a tougher wearing fabric around the lower frame of the cap because it gets beats up more than the top half but that can't be true because I've owned and handled numerous caps with tough wearing trikot covers but with softer eskimo or doeskin lowers. It's self evident that they didn't choose fabrics based on wear because look at how many visors have worn out or have been badly mothed around the bottom compared with the covers. In a lot of cases, you can see the pasteboards through the holes in the fabric despite the rest of the cap being in good condition.

I don't know for sure but I would guess that this trend of using different fabrics for the top and bottom of the cap has more to do with fashion aesthetics than practicalities.

This is why I choose to collect these things rather than helmets or weapons etc. Despite all that we have learn't about hat manufacture, there are still many puzzles, many of which we will probably never solve.
        Last edited by BenVK; 08-12-2016, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BenVK View Post

I don't know for sure but I would guess that this trend of using different fabrics for the top and bottom of the cap has more to do with fashion aesthetics than practicalities.
          Maybe it was just a matter of economics - and they used the leftover, shorter sections of "scrap" fabric at this location?

Comment

I submit the different lower fabric was for comfort.

As to the original issue presented, I tend to agree that a gray color does seem to be more prevalent, now that I think about it. It is almost the same shade as a Janke Repro; perhaps to match the stone gray trousers with staff/ general stripes down the outer seam? I don't know, but I am inclined to agree to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post

As to the original issue presented, I tend to agree that a gray color does seem to be more prevalent, now that I think about it. It is almost the same shade as a Janke Repro; perhaps to match the stone gray trousers with staff/ general stripes down the outer seam? I don't know, but I am inclined to agree to some degree.
              This is the color I am referring to , the stone gray of the trousers. Makes sense to me.

I also wondered about the different fabrics on visor. J

Comment

Great topic.

I've wondered if some manufacturers utilised a light shade of grey to accentuate colours that almost disappear on a darker background, eg engineers black, medical blue and the mountain troops and admin greens.

My Vet/GS cap is a pretty normal field grey.

Mike

Comment

Mike, interesting comment. Maybe yours is a vet which clarifies the difference with GS. J

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
                    That's a good thought!

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                      Mike, interesting comment. Maybe yours is a vet which clarifies the difference with GS. J
                      Jacques,

Here's my cap for your assessment.

Mike
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mike love the visor, especially the "fat " piping. The vet comment was light hearted because carmesine piping is aways gs rather than vet. Same as Feldgendarme oppose to recruiting, in the case of orange. It is impossible to know without solid ownership provenance on a spesific visor. J.

Comment

Jacques,

I've never downplayed the importance of veterinarians in the Wehrmacht given the employment of millions of horses.

Best regards, Mike

Comment

This is an old photo of a Panzer visor by CW I had a long while back. I believe the color of this wool truly matched the dress uniform.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                              Great topic.

I've wondered if some manufacturers utilised a light shade of grey to accentuate colours that almost disappear on a darker background, eg engineers black, medical blue and the mountain troops and admin greens.

My Vet/GS cap is a pretty normal field grey.

Mike
                              An interesting theory. I have a Gibirgspionier visor which is in a distinctly lighter grey than the standard field grey. It certainly makes the black piping more apparent.

BC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X