Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW Off Side Cap Question

Dear All,

Thinking about posting this LW Off Side Cap for sale on the e-stand. I know where it came from, and I know that it was restored in terms of application of the insignia; none of the insignia is original to the cap.

Now, what I don't know is if the cockade is period or not. I am not a LW expert, and all the LW EM side caps I have had had the "puffy" cockade. Is this one still legit or is it a post-war copy.

Need to know so I can describe it correctly.

Thank You!

Al
    Attached Files

3/4
    Attached Files

Comment

5/6
      Attached Files

Comment

7/8
        Attached Files

Comment

Albert,

Check this thread out if you haven't already for a comparison:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=208648

There are some variations to these. Have you checked it against a black light?

However the black light is not an end all solution.

Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Yes, I checked the thread, and there are even two side caps that could be a twin to mine; one of them is yours in posts 49 and 50. Indeed, there are quite some variations, most are "puffy" but some seem to be of the flat type. I just checked mine with a black light, and it did not glow!

Albert

Comment

At least the cockade is too thin and too fresh for me...

Comment

101% original LW embroidered cockade used 1942 to 1944. My LW officer side-cap was found rotting in a barn complete with its original insignia and it has a cockade just like that. Also the type used on some LW M43 caps.

They are not hard to find. There have been shop hoards of original pre-May 1945 manufacture found and sold over the years by German dealers like Detlev Niemann & Helmet Weitze,

Chris

Comment

Chris, thank you very much for this confirmation!

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                    101% original LW embroidered cockade used 1942 to 1944. My LW officer side-cap was found rotting in a barn complete with its original insignia and it has a cockade just like that. Also the type used on some LW M43 caps.

They are not hard to find. There have been shop hoards of original pre-May 1945 manufacture found and sold over the years by German dealers like Detlev Niemann & Helmet Weitze,

Chris
                    Received that

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X